Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: German Tracking Hounds

German Tracking Hounds

With the few voices on here shouting that the German dogs have the best pedigrees and that the lines are unbroken for 100,s of years .Do you think they will ever take the place of the already quite numerous Bavarian Mountain Hounds from Poland and Slovakia or other country,s.

German dogs are at this moment extremely hard to get a hold of !! (If you every get hold of one)

European hounds can be bought quite easy and are from the same blood lines.

If you do get a German dog it will not be KC registered

You can get a European dog with full KC papers

If you get a real good dog from Germany you will not be able to follow its lines (breed it ) unless a German says you can.

If your dog is a top worker you will be able to look for a suitable opposite with good working ability to breed with.

If your dog is from Germany you will nee to travel thousands of miles just check if your dog meets a standard that might not be applicable in this country.

Local training groups and new dedicated deer dog men are more available for your European Hound.

CAN WE REALLY JUSTFILY GETTING A GERMAN DOG AND IF WE CAN WHAT USE WILL IT BE IN THE FUTURE.

Your opinions please.

This will be interesting

Prepare for some outrageous snobbery regarding German dogs and stories along the lines of

"German dogs can follow a two year old trail with no blood to find a single deer hair encased in thirty square feet of concrete, fifty metres under the ground. And that they can do this at 4 weeks old, and what's more they can butcher the deer for you when they find it"

IMO it is too late the boat has left the harbour. There are already enough Polish/Slovakian dogs in this country to be able to breed. Wether this is done with consideration/research as to the working ability of the pups or just picking the closest stud dog to you remains to be seen. How many would be prepared to either have their present dog destroyed or neutered to stop the Polish/Slovakian bloodlines and thereafter only buy a German bloodlined dog? The BMH is going to end up like any other breed of dog in this country. There will be the German dogs controlled by breed masters in Germany and there will be all sorts of ability dogs. My spaniels are from good working class dogs. They will hunt, retrieve, work to voice or whistle commands but they are not from the top flight breeding. My BMH is bred from Polish Imports that have show and working titles. He is very capable of finding wounded deer and a first class stalking dog. No doubt if put to the right bitch reasonable pups should be produced.
    It is now down to personal choice and if buying a British born pup from Polish/Slovakian background a good bit of research as to working ability is the order of the day before purchase. IMO a good working dog is brought about by two elements. Number 1, a dog of suitable breeding and 2 a competent trainer/handler. Your German bred dog only gives you one element.
    Last edited by Gazza; 07-09-2012 at 09:23.

Ohh here we go again!! The last German that though he was that clever failed miserably..............I think his name was Adolf!!

Anyway off to West Sussex with a client now to use my BMH for what I trained him for...... and then up to Scotland and no doubt he will put me onto deer like he has done for the last 4 or so years
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

You've got to laugh
    Quality is not an act....It is a habit.....

PS Davie,your facts are not correct
    Last edited by Wolverine; 07-09-2012 at 10:51.

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    You've got to laugh
    Quality is not an act....It is a habit.....
    Quality is not an act, it is a habit.” Aristotle quotes (Ancient Greek Philosopher, Scientist and Physician, 384 BC-322 BC)

No doubt according to some he will have been sh*te as well...

Quote Originally Posted by david1976 View Post
    Prepare for some outrageous snobbery regarding German dogs and stories along the lines of

"German dogs can follow a two year old trail with no blood to find a single deer hair encased in thirty square feet of concrete, fifty metres under the ground. And that they can do this at 4 weeks old, and what's more they can butcher the deer for you when they find it"
    You forgot to add that he can do all this with his eyes closed!

Not certain about the butchering though. He is more likely to eat it given half a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    This will be interesting
    Yes, 6pointer is always good for a laugh.

He would make a pretty good cook always stirring the pot. But I am not certain about his washing up.

Quote Originally Posted by barongcw View Post
    Yes, 6pointer is always good for a laugh.

He would make a pretty good cook always stirring the pot. But I am not certain about his washing up.

Well he would have to be quick to get by some of the deer dogs I have seen that spend most of their time licking it....