Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A POST I DID'NT WANT TO EVER HAVE TO MAKE

A POST I DID'NT WANT TO EVER HAVE TO MAKE

Firstly I would just like to say another big thank-you to Wayne Davies for taking me out on my very first munty stalk.
    I would then just like to apologise for what happened next.
    I had a phone call from Wayne on saturday saying he was going to have a look for some muntys on a patch near him if I fancied it,without hesitating I said "yes".I met Wayne at his house about 5.45pm, we had a quick brew and off we went. We arrived about 7ish and Wayne put Luke, another lad that came with us up in one of the seats, he then came back to collect me and we went further on along, then pulled on to a track just inside the wood, and got kitted up and made our way towards our seat. Once in our seat Wayne told me of some of the usual routes they can make on the track, and that they notice even the smallest of movements. We waited for a bit, and i thought i heard something to my right hand side, so with very small movements i had a look but it was nothing.
    Not long after i had a nudge from Wayne, there was a muntjac doe on the track to left of him. I tried to move the rifle slowly around but she clocked us straight away, so quickly i got the rifle in the aim and pulled the trigger. I stupidly rushed the shot and thought i had cleanly missed her underneath, the doe took to her heels, doubling back the way she had come through. What a d****head i thought to myself, i f****ed up big time!
    Wayne got down to make sure it was a miss and on inspection, he found some hair and then a patch of green from the gut of her, he walked back and told me the bad news, he told me to stay up in the seats while he got the truck and Max. When they got back i got down and looked over where the doe went back in, and i saw the green patch but that was it, i couldnt see any green anywhere else. Wayne cast Max into the cover and he followed a scent for a bit, but must have lost it or picked up on something else, to be fair to Max he did very well considering there was no blood to go on, we searched the cover up and down but nothing, after a bit more searching we decided to call it a night besides we were loosing light, I apologised to Wayne.
    It may sound stupid to some of you but i felt sort of worried, sad, embarrased, ashamed and sick all at the same time.
    To those of you that may have been so unlucky to experience this i know how it feels, and to those of you that have been lucky enough not to experience this, you would never want to.
    Andy.

wint

no one,ever hits, bang on every time they aim,good shots are just that,try not to beat your self up about it,I am fairley new to the game and I know it will happen to me one day,I also know success breeds success,cheers, tone,

Andy
    there are 2 thinmgs here to consider
    you made this post to see what reaction it gave and also to get some solece
    but my thoughts are you fecked,up so live with it and learn from it
    you are not the first or will be the last
    to lose an animal is never on the agenda but untill that moment happens you will not aprecciate shot placemnt or the use of a good dog
    some times a good dog wil fail
    but don't loose heart or confidence as a shot that has never missed or jhad a runner has not realy hunted in mass or has been very gracious in survival

wint just to agree with what tony has allready said
    and that i have not had the pleasure to meet wayne yet
    but have only heard good things about the man
    take some comfort you were in good hands and that
    wayne may yet find it regards pete .

An honest man .

If this was to be a first it most certainly won't be a last .

There are many people that would never own up to something like this but mark my words it happens more than you think .

What people forget is your stalking something that has a heart beat and a mind of its own, we get some hellish positions to get a shot in some cases ,then theres the weather conditions the list can go on and on .

This is how we learn by the mistakes we make along the way, don't dwell over this put it behind you .

The man that said he's never made a mistake has never lived .

Re: A POST I DID'NT WANT TO EVER HAVE TO MAKE

Quote Originally Posted by wint
    Firstly I would just like to say another big thank-you to Wayne Davies for taking me out on my very first munty stalk.
    I had a phone call from Wayne on saturday saying he was going to have a look for some muntys on a patch near him if I fancied it,without hesitating I said "yes".I met Wayne at his house about 5.45pm, we had a quick brew and off we went. We arrived about 7ish and Wayne put Luke, another lad that came with us up in one of the seats, he then came back to collect me and we went further on along, then pulled on to a track just inside the wood, and got kitted up and made our way towards our seat. Once in our seat Wayne told me of some of the usual routes they can make on the track, and that they notice even the smallest of movements. We waited for a bit, and i thought i heard something to my right hand side, so with very small movements i had a look but it was nothing.
    Not long after i had a nudge from Wayne, there was a muntjac doe on the track to left of him. I tried to move the rifle slowly around but she clocked us straight away, so quickly i got the rifle in the aim and pulled the trigger. I stupidly rushed the shot and thought i had cleanly missed her underneath, the doe took to her heels, doubling back the way she had come through. What a d****head i thought to myself, i f****ed up big time!
    Wayne got down to make sure it was a miss and on inspection, he found some hair and then a patch of green from the gut of her, he walked back and told me the bad news, he told me to stay up in the seats while he got the truck and Max. When they got back i got down and looked over where the doe went back in, and i saw the green patch but that was it, i couldnt see any green anywhere else. Wayne cast Max into the cover and he followed a scent for a bit, but must have lost it or picked up on something else, to be fair to Max he did very well considering there was no blood to go on, we searched the cover up and down but nothing, after a bit more searching we decided to call it a night besides we were loosing light, I apologised to Wayne.
    It may sound stupid to some of you but i felt sort of worried, sad, embarrased, ashamed and sick all at the same time.
    To those of you that may have been so unlucky to experience this i know how it feels, and to those of you that have been lucky enough not to experience this, you would never want to.
    Andy.
    Its a terrible feeling. On getting my own ticket and 1st rifle I was up at my mates where he keepered, after scoping my 308 in we went back onto the ground after a doe and 2 kids we seen earlier. they were still there where we seen them. We stalked into position, the Doe was lying facing awat from us with the 2 kids on either side, I was told to put the bullet into the back of the does head, I refused as I wasnt confident enough to take that shot, bang the doe went over the kids stood up 1 went broadside I took it down it went! the other went down to the keepers second shot. Oh I was walking amoungst the clouds! untill my kid got up and ran I tought I had bust its leg well thats what it looked like! No it wasnt a leg but guts I had zipped it open right on the bottom of the breast. I jumped the fence dropped to my knee and prayed it would stop when it hit the fence, yes it did and I tell you it wasnt going no where soon ii took it right through the shoulders. A shot Ill never forget nor will I forget the second I f@@d up, but I learned from them as you should mate.

Unfortunately it happens and a man who says ir's never happened to him is either a lier or hasnt shot many Deer.
    Keep your head up.

cheers
    nutty

Andy, in nearly 20yrs of stalking I've been in your situation more than once. I never consider myself impulsive or uncaring towards the animal that I am intending to shoot. You admit in your post that you "stupidly rushed the shot" (Quote).
    When analyzing the times that I've had bad shots( and there are more in 20yrs. than I would care to list) they have invariably been when I have been in the company of someone else. I usually stalk, and prefer to stalk, alone.
    Do we, in this situation, (being accompanied) feel unconsciously under pressure to take a shot that, when stalking alone, we might not take?
    Please don't think I'm being critical, I offer nothing but sympathy. You just got me wondering if others have noticed anything similar.
    To feel "worried, sad, embarassed and sick" is not something to be ashamed of, not to care WOULD be something to be ashamed of.
    Take a glass of something strong and sleep well.
    Cheers, Pete.

Pete,

On the nail, "stalking on one's own". BIG difference to having a companion....

Stan

I feel for you mate and applaud you for your honesty.

I dead the day it happens to me - and i'm realistic enough to realise that the odds are it will.

I'm willing to lay odds that you'll slow it down next time.

Re: A POST I DID'NT WANT TO EVER HAVE TO MAKE

Quote Originally Posted by wint
    Andy.
    I would much prefer people who feal like you did when you **** up because you will endevour never to make the same error again. Pople wo are non plussed by it and dont care to my mind should not be out stalking. I have been were you are and it sucks, get back out in the same area and you might manage to make amends.

Dave