Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: midge repellant

midge repellant

guys need some advice on whats on the market and what
    you use and reccomend
    been out stalking tonight and got bloody eaten alive
    thanks in advance pete .

Midge repellant

Well I don't claim to be an expert, but when I was living in Scotland I discovered that many Scots (who can be plagued by midges on the west Coast) use Avon Skin So Soft which I bought inexpensively on ebay.

It has worked well for me although I expect (like medicines) it may vary by person.

Make sure you buy the version that contains citronella as this is the one that works as a mosqito / midge repellant.

Hope this helps

Neal

Pete,

Are you actually being "eaten" or just plagued?

If plagued then you're Scottish, if eaten then you might have a Welsh tendancy if not out and out English...

Stan

Yup, i use Avon SSS.

Your local Avon Lady will sell you a discounted twin pack (and bury you under a mountain of un-solicited Avon catalogues forever more)

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun
    Yup, i use Avon SSS.

Your local Avon Lady will sell you a discounted twin pack (and bury you under a mountain of un-solicited Avon catalogues forever more)
    Thats the one!

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun
    Yup, i use Avon SSS.
    Me too!

Midge net over a broad brimmed hat, none of the so-called repellants seem to work very well for me, even SSS (and it makes you smell like a big jessie). Guess it just depends on your own chemistry.

Too early to be "eaten alive" by midges yet, they are just the advance guard playing with you, it's July and August that they really get warmed up

I have tried most of the repellents I think and used to swear by the Avon SSS but I now have abandoned all of them and stick to a net and a hat ala Frax.

John

I live and work in midgie heaven! I've found that the only sure solution is a net. They are good for camoflauge, too! A slight problem is seeing through them well but with a bit of handy work you can glue the net to the rims of a pair of cheap glasses, leaving the lenses clear, obviously, which works well. Skin so soft can work ok but the pick of the bunch if you're going for a repellent I would say is jungle formula. Problem with repellents is if you are doing anything active then your sweat seems to nullify/take the repellent away pretty quick.

Another vote for a net. Maybe the various potions work when the midges are small in numbers but on a bad day a net is the only thing that will keep them away.