Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home loader virgin!

home loader virgin!

my friend is going to reload my .222 for me, and has asked to to get some primers and bullets/tip/head what is the correct term for them? so i dont look a complete fool when asking for them lol
    (he has correct die,s poweder and empty brass)

Bullets Bullets Bullets!
    Lol not heads or tips but some shops are dumb to the difference between bullets and ammunition.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

cheers fella! i understand about different grains of bullets but do i need a certain size to fit the .222 has any1 a recommended bullet?

Mate
    What are you planning to shoot with it.?
    For my money, the best all round projectile in a 222 is a Sierra 1365 55 Gn pill with a good stout load of RE7, 2207 or BM1.
    I have shot rabbits, hares Foxes, Roos (Under Licence) and goats with this combo. Accurate (beyond what you expect a SPBT to be) and a good killer on bigger anilmals. Id rekon it will stop a Roe in its tracks with a shot in the Boiler. I would say this projectile (the correct Term) has peformed better for me on Goats than the Barnes 64 Gner.

Good reloading is about consistency and developing a good load.

Just a quick word of caution make sure you are there when he is loading the rounds to double check all is ok, if your not you are putting your gun and self at risk, because if your friend was to accidentally double the charge or something like that it could cause you some problems unless you trust him 100%, I wouldn't fire somebody else's homloads but that's my opinion others may disagree but wish you luck stay safe

mainly mr fox with the odd crow or rabbit,
    the rifle a cz 527 with a t8 mod

I know nothing about .222, but it would seem sensible to buy bullets of a weight that has performed well in this rifle in factory rounds.

My .22-250 will put put 50grain bullets of most kinds into under half and inch at 100yds with tedious reliability, yet going up to 55grains, the results become most excitingly random, with spreads of 3" or more.

yer i understand your point caution (mongoose) he knows what hes doing, ill be watching and learning every step of the way,

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Just a quick word of caution make sure you are there when he is loading the rounds to double check all is ok, if your not you are putting your gun and self at risk, because if your friend was to accidentally double the charge or something like that it could cause you some problems unless you trust him 100%, I wouldn't fire somebody else's homloads but that's my opinion others may disagree but wish you luck stay safe
    Doubt if you would be able to get double the chosen powder into a 222 case - more of a dangerous problem would possibly be to only put 1/3 of the required amount of powder in the case.

But I certainly understand your concerns and worth pointing it out to the OP