Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deleting threads............

Deleting threads............

I totally respect the rights of the Mod's/owners of a web site to delete posts/threads as they see fit, but sometimes I'm buggered if I know why !

The thread that was deleted this morning, regarding "stealing stalking" is an example of this.

Poster complains he's had stalking stolen, without naming anyone. The person who has allegedly stolen the stalking chooses to come forward and names himself. He then proceeds to confirm he has gone behind the posters back, because he was aggrieved the poster didn't do something he wanted him to do.

He then has the cheek to claim an attack on his name, complain about the thread, and it's deleted ?

I can understand why the thread would be locked, because it gets to the point where it serves no good purpose to continue, but deleting it, in this case would just appear to let a self confessed pilferer off the hook, and prevent others knowing they need to keep an eye out, should they come into contact with him ?

If this type of thread is going to get deleted, how do we protect the members of the SD from it happening to them ?

Mark.

I have also had some answers deleted when I believed they were relevant to the thread. I dont like the way it was done.
    If a deletion is to be done by the thought police then common respect requires them to inform the person who posted the non acceptable answer or thread to answer the criticisms directly even via private pms to the thought police.
    I am not a troublemaker but as we are all different and I thought this is suposed to be an open discussion forum and not a vehicle for drawing in paying commercial trade members with higher rights than the rest of us.
    Lets see if this one stays on the answers.
    Martin

Martin,

With regard to "trade" members, you need to be realistic. The site cost money to run, and ether you have paying trade members, of everyone will have to contribute ! Trade members keep out costs to zero, AND they generally make a great contribution to the forums !

I think the biggest problem with some posts, is people allow their emotions to take over, and don't put "their brain in gear" before pressing the "reply" button especially when they feel aggrieved for whatever reason !

Posts that contain a true account of events, without libeling anyone, shouldn't be an issue. I appreciate that sometimes it's a fine line, but in this particular case, the person concerned actually admits talking to the land owner to get permission to shoot, AND tells the land owner about his gripe, to justify his actions !

To be fair, it would have been good of the land owner to have spoken to the original permission holder first.

Faie enough ref the cost of running the site.
    Any non-trade members been asked to pay a pro rata amount to help out?
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    I totally respect the rights of the Mod's/owners of a web site to delete posts/threads as they see fit, but sometimes I'm buggered if I know why !

The thread that was deleted this morning, regarding "stealing stalking" is an example of this.

Poster complains he's had stalking stolen, without naming anyone. The person who has allegedly stolen the stalking chooses to come forward and names himself. He then proceeds to confirm he has gone behind the posters back, because he was aggrieved the poster didn't do something he wanted him to do.

He then has the cheek to claim an attack on his name, complain about the thread, and it's deleted ?

I can understand why the thread would be locked, because it gets to the point where it serves no good purpose to continue, but deleting it, in this case would just appear to let a self confessed pilferer off the hook, and prevent others knowing they need to keep an eye out, should they come into contact with him ?

If this type of thread is going to get deleted, how do we protect the members of the SD from it happening to them ?

Mark.
    By posters being extremely careful with their choice of words, especially when discussing potentially contentious matters

The particulars post in question was deleted because it is something that needs to be sorted out by the people concerned, as it says on the reason for deleting. There are when post's/threads are deleted reasons that are presented to Admin or become apparent to us that for the good of the site they have to go. A lot of threads that are locked, posts deleted are usually for the reason that people are quick judge when they do not have the necessary information to so, a little more thought and standing back and thinking before typing would solve a lot of the problems

Martin, the only people on this site with "higher rights" as you so delicately put it are admin. The suggestion that commercial trade members are gifted certain rights is quite offensive, and as for your suggestion that we are in this to make money that is laughable. This we do as a hobby and as the site has grown it has eaten more and more into our time, which if we charged our trade members a fee that would recompense us at reasonable rate or charge people to become members would soon result in the site becoming a fond memory for all. I hope that will satisfy you but somehow I doubt it will.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I think last year when this happened in a simalar situation site staff qouted correct if I am wrong anybody knowingly stealing stalking
    would be banned from sd .

how can we protect our stalking if people when named and shamed and found 100 per cent guilty are not banned accordingly .

I been pissed about quite a bit recently with deals going wrong on sd people need to think before they commit to giving there word
    it leaves a bad taste .

I personally dont think deleteing threads of a certain nature helps just my opinion regards pete .

Quote Originally Posted by Roedinator View Post
    I think last year when this happened in a simalar situation site staff qouted correct if I am wrong anybody knowingly stealing stalking
    would be banned from sd .

how can we protect our stalking if people when named and shamed and found 100 per cent guilty are not banned accordingly .

I been pissed about quite a bit recently with deals going wrong on sd people need to think before they commit to giving there word
    it leaves a bad taste .

I personally dont think deleteing threads of a certain nature helps just my opinion regards pete .
    I completey agree.

Andy
    Last edited by Pirate hunter; 08-09-2012 at 11:07.

From what we know of this particular incident (which is admittedly limited), and from what has been stated directly to the admin team, it would appear that this isn't as straight forward a case as first presented and that there is a back story/history as there so often is. It was therefore decided that it was in the best interests of everyone that they settle their differences off site.

It has nothing to do with money, conspiracy or anything else we might be accused of. We are doing what we always do, we are trying to act in what we think are the best interests of the site and the members.

It might not right 100% of the time but we try our best....

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    The particulars post in question was deleted because it is something that needs to be sorted out by the people concerned, as it says on the reason for deleting
    JAYB,

Sorry, if a post deleted, where would it say the reason for doing this ?

There are when post's/threads are deleted reasons that are presented to Admin or become apparent to us that for the good of the site they have to go
    Understood, and a site certainly doesn't want to get involved in a libel action, but in this case, the person concerned, confirmed what the OP had posted ? So libel certainly wouldn't be an issue.

A lot of threads that are locked, posts deleted are usually for the reason that people are quick judge when they do not have the necessary information to so, a little more thought and standing back and thinking before typing would solve a lot of the problems

John

Too true, and these posts should be deleted, and or edited, but by deleting the whole thread, you make it much easier for the same person to do the same to someone else, something no one wants to see !

I just feel in this particular case, someone guilty by admission, has been left to do the same thing again.

Mark.