204 rifle keyholing

LVSF 243

Just been out with rifle two shots keyholing . 1in12 twist 40g vmax vihtavuori 133 25.5 gr. Any ideas lads cheers:doh::doh:

Just been out with rifle two shots keyholing . 1in12 twist 40g vmax vihtavuori 133 25.5 gr. Any ideas lads cheers:doh::doh:

couple of things.

1, how long is the barrel, if its shorter than 24" you could be running to much powder.

2, check that the crown is clean and free of any carbon build up.have a good look at it this symptom can some times point to there being issues with the crown.

3, check that you are not clipping the mod (i don't think its this as you would tell when you here the bullet whizzing of in some strange direction.

4, last but not least, make sure the flight path of the bullet to the target is clear of any obstructions IE: grass etc getting between you and the target, it only needs to clip a blade of grass ands its off.

bob.

Its a 24inch barrel bob.No high pressure signals no gas leakage around primer.The crown looks good its a new rifle.

You could try 32gr Vmax, when i spoke to a guy from Hornady at last years gamefair he said that 32gr was best for 12 twist.

i would say its to do with the twist. as the guy above said. not all standard 12 twist 204 rifles will shoot the 40 grain bullets.
thats why most pick 1 in 11 twist when going the semi custom route with 204.

try the 39 blizkings you might find your do well with them

Its a 24inch barrel bob.No high pressure signals no gas leakage around primer.The crown looks good its a new rifle.

cheers big man,

crack on with some 39gr's try keeping the same loads but with the 39gr heads,

good luck and keep us posted

regards

bob.

Back