Blisters/cysts on Roe lungs

Fallenover

A Roe that I shot on Friday was totally healthy apart from some translucent pinkish cysts or blisters on it's lung. I'm 99% sure it's tapeworm cysts, can anyone else confirm this? Sorry I don't have any pictures.

Unlikely to be tapeworm cysts as they are found on the liver or intestines not the lungs,

Maybe lungworm did the trachea look inflamed any areas of the lung that looked white.

Were the lymph glands in the throat normal , white nodules in the lungs can be a sign of TB

Last edited:
Trachea seemed okay, nothing unusual, no white areas on the lungs either. These where not nodules they where more like small sacs of fluid, a little like burn blisters but a bit bigger. all lymph glands appeared normal.

I think it is possible tapeworm cysts can form in the lungs. Were there the usual white dots suspended in clear fluid?

Year before last I diagnosed under microscopic examination Echinococcus granulosis ( tapeworm ) in the lungs of a Roe doe. In another doe from the same area the following year there was calcification of cysts in the fat around the kidney which could have been tapeworm.

Year before last I diagnosed under microscopic examination Echinococcus granulosis ( tapeworm ) in the lungs of a Roe doe. In another doe from the same area the following year there was calcification of cysts in the fat around the kidney which could have been tapeworm.

As a matter of interest how common would it be? I have seen plenty tapeworm cysts on the liver and intestines but never on the lungs.

This was the first time I have found it in deer, it was incidental to doing a witnessed gralloch and I happened to be present to take samples. Needless to say we will be monitoring the gralloch this doe season as that is the only time we manage the deer.Wildlife Trust property.

Typical, 3rd kill and I find something unusual. However good lesson learned, take photos. Thanks for all your advise and help.

Back