Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mmmmm what you think?

Mmmmm what you think?

Ive recently been inspired by the brock and norris contracter rifle. Ive now managed to secure a place in a syndicate and Im now looking forward and up. My next phase in my plans is to secure a bit of ground with reds, sika or even Fallow through my contacts and friends.

Now the contracter 308 floats my boat bar the heavy barrel. Since seeing the rifles in the clasifieds Ive been digging around the internet looking at different rifles/ calibres.

I know what Im wanting in the rifle and being a kilt wearing ginge (and proud of it) I have more or less decided on calibre of my second rifle but.................. My 2 options I have either no experiance of or dont like. Now lads this is where your input is required!!!

Ok Ive been looking at the 270 and 30-06. Im not a lover of the 270 it is the only rifle which Ive had discomfort when firing and Ive seen the bruising it can give down the legs even with a perfect shot (similar to the 25-06). Now that takes me to the 30-06!!! I know its basicaly the same case with a larger diameter bullet.

Now is the 30-06 a beast like the 270 with bruising and recoil or not??? Now before the chuck hawkes recoil table gets produced, Id just say Ive looked at it and have fired a 270 (un- moderated)... But I havnt fired a 30-06.

This rifle is for Reds over say clear fell or capable of Reds which cant be stalked into for various reasons.
    Im also trying to keep carcase damage to a minimum. My preference would be a 308 but the profile etc Im looking at on the barrelled action isnt giving me that option just now.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    Im not a lover of the 270 it is the only rifle which Ive had discomfort when firing and Ive seen the bruising it can give down the legs.
    My first thought is that you must have been holding the .270 wrongly to get bruising there: I've never even had a bruised shoulder!

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    My first thought is that you must have been holding the .270 wrongly to get bruising there: I've never even had a bruised shoulder!
    Correct and also the same with the venerable .30-06 .
    Bullet damage is largely determined by placement of the shot and the construction of the bullet/ missile/ projectile itself not the calibre used.
    A correctly placed shot with a `varmint` type bullet will obviously cause more damage than a stiffer one designed for larger game.
    Anyone who considers a .270 a `beast` has obviously never fired a real beast before.

HWH.

Hi , I know the problem ,I used a 30-06 for some time mostly fallow and the damage had me shooting for places on the deer which i thought would result in the least bruising the last shot with that rifle dropped the animal on the spot and was so low and far back it was almost a miss ( on the end of the sternum ) when i got the deer skinned out it was bruised from the kidnies to its ears ,result exit 06 enter 270 , but now using a 260 Rem

Ah! I see now - the bruising was on the legs of the deer.

i have only ever shot deer with a .270 including a 28yd roe buck quartering through the front leg/heart/rib in that order. damage and meat wastage was minimal, including keeping most of the front/nearest leg

if you are getting carcase damage either change your bullet or shoot them somewhere less damaging

Have shot a 30-06 and did find the recoil a bit much - .308 is better but still not as nice as my .243... so I went for a 7mm-08 on the basis that it hits prett much the same as a .308 but with the recoil of a .243

I spoke to Mike Norris about a rifle build, and he rates the 7-08... so I felt pretty happy about my choice (he knows his stuff!)

30-06 is a pussy use the right bullet and you get no damage I have shot Roe Sika and Reds and the only time I get damage is when I shoot badly and hit the wrong part of the deer.
    You can get damage with any caliber dont blame the rifle just shoot the right bullets properly.
    There is plenty of advice on here to which bullets do the least damage and kill well.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

Quote Originally Posted by sikadog View Post
    30-06 is a pussy use the right bullet and you get no damage I have shot Roe Sika and Reds and the only time I get damage is when I shoot badly and hit the wrong part of the deer.
    You can get damage with any caliber dont blame the rifle just shoot the right bullets properly.
    There is plenty of advice on here to which bullets do the least damage and kill well.
    What he said.
    + excessive recoil in your common British deer calibers is down to a bad fit or bad hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Milligan View Post
    What he said.
    + excessive recoil in your common British deer calibers is down to a bad fit or bad hold.
    30-06 is not a hard recoiling round i have fired a frends with 180g no problem i have a 7mm rem mag same thing recoil is minimal with or without moderator dont grip the gun like its going to hurt you hold it let it recoil naturaly and all youl get is a push recoil is very over rated in my book if i can fire 40rounds from a 7mm rem mag in a t shirt eney one can