Deer Dog Assessment day

6pointer

I am working on the idea of a scottish deer dog assessment day.
This day will involve a test on tracking your dog will be assessed by an expert and the appropriate certificate will be supplied by the SLDG /Barony collage jointly.
This will not be a totally free day but will be as cheap as we can make it around about £10 per entrant and we are looking for 10 canine candidates. This will be in June time and will be held near to Glasgow (hamilton). The £10 will be only to cover costs. there will be something to eat and a talk on dog work both from a deer dog perspective and a tracking dog perspective. If you would be interested in this type of event let me know by PM please i do not want this to go down a bad road.

SLDG

Davie

You know I would happily come to something like this to support your efforts, but the final decision will be based on who the expert assessor is...

Edited to add: ...and what format the test will actually take...

Edited further to add: ... And is the assessment covering conformation or just working ability...

Last edited:
Happy to support another of your ventures but before entering my dog I would have to know who the assessor is and what credibilty he/she has to support being an expert. A certificate issued by the SLDG/Barony College although a nice thought is worthless.

If nothing else im sure it would be a good day out. . . keep us updated and I may come along for the craic.

Last edited:
First of all the person or persons will be taken from proven tracking background .They will be given the criteria of the assessment well in advance as will Barony collage. All dogs who go forward for the assessments will be judged to the same standard no mater of there breed type. I have already got 3 said they want to come and i am sure will get the next 7 with ease. The track will be laid to the standard set in the tracking tests of Europe.
I must say only dogs that have a reasonable tracking ability should attend the assessments.

First of all the person or persons will be taken from proven tracking background.

Nice to know that they will be a proven 'tracking assessor' rather than just being a 'deer assessor' or even a 'trailing assessor'. :D

Good luck with it and have a good time.

Well the day is on offer and like i said is open to all if the supper guys with the dedicated deer dogs don't want to prove there worth then it must be hot air there spouting . :oops: :oops:

Can I bring my "second rate" polish bitch along or would this test only be open to dogs and bitches bred from the master (tracking) race?

I have purchased a disguise for her just in case it is the latter:

il_fullxfull.182104962.jpg

It will be a standard competency test for tracking dogs 500mtr with a couple of turns a wound bed and an end. Nothing to tiresome. i will write it all down if there is enough interest.

David yes you can like said all welcome but it will be after christmas so a differnt outfit might be more suitable.

Back