Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picatinny rail for Sako 85

Picatinny rail for Sako 85

Does anyone have any experience of fitting a picatinny rail to a Sako 85 and if so is there any particular manufacturer you would recommend? Itís a long story but due to the need to replace my favourite fox/target rifle and now a fault developing on the scope on my .308 I am fed up with swapping scopes around that have different mounting systems and am considering standardising on picatinny rails on all my bolt action rifles. Theoretically this should give me maximum flexibility. I know the system isnít the most elegant and can be quite heavy but am prepared to put up with that if it will allow me to swap sighting systems and scopes around with the minimum of fuss and bother.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

8 x 57,

I have no experience of this in particular, but have researched alternatives to Optiloc rings for my Sako 85s.

If you've not already done so, have a look at the Third Eye website. They do various alternative mounts for Sako's including, I think, a Picatinny rail. I know quite a few people who use Third Eye stuff and rate it highly.

Cheers,

Bob

Bought one recently for my .25-06 Sako 75 from Mike Norris (Brock & Norris). Took a little bit of fitting by gunsmith, but very impressed with the product. Think cost was around £120 delivered. Don't know whether the fittings on the 85's are the same, but Mike would advise.

James

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of fitting a picatinny rail to a Sako 85 and if so is there any particular manufacturer you would recommend? It’s a long story but due to the need to replace my favourite fox/target rifle and now a fault developing on the scope on my .308 I am fed up with swapping scopes around that have different mounting systems and am considering standardising on picatinny rails on all my bolt action rifles. Theoretically this should give me maximum flexibility. I know the system isn’t the most elegant and can be quite heavy but am prepared to put up with that if it will allow me to swap sighting systems and scopes around with the minimum of fuss and bother.
    Near Manufacturing - not inexpensive but very good.

Thanks guys your comments have been quite helpful. My research so far has already brought to light Third Eye, Near and Roedale Precision and I am intending to have a word with Brock & Norris at the midland game fair next weekend. Prices vary slightly but all seem to around the same sort of mark. The rails for the 75 and 85 are identical from what I can make out. I was looking for any particular recommendations of which to consider and which if any to disregard or of any problems encountered when such rails are fixed to the Sako.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka 260 View Post
    Near Manufacturing - not inexpensive but very good.
    Does he do one for the 85? when I was looking a year or two ago he only did the 75 I think....

The Optilock bases are the same for the 75 & the 85.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Yes, the dovetails are the same, but as I understood it the Near mounts are designed to fit precisely around the profile of the action/ejection port, and when I contacted him at the time he said he was unsure if the profile was the same on the 85...

Maybe this has now been confirmed?...

Personally I didn't like the look of the Roedale one, too many bits to move about IMO.

I ended up having one made, but mine was for an Action 1 which Near and Third Eye don't do.

I have the Roedale one which works fine on my old Sako L579 even if it looks "too many parts".
    Picatinny rail is the way to go if one has different rifles. I have them on a T3, Sako, SA/LA Remmies and a 1909 Mauser.
    edi