30-06 project

User00003

I'm not going to bother the world with a million-mile story of what I did to restore my BRNO ZKK 601 30-06. however, in short, I purchased it last year for £175 and have since restored it as follows, I'm very pleased with it as it's been an 8 month project:

I could not afford an expensive recoil pad so went with a £12 classic rubber one, but it's nice and I've shaped it to fit me with the right pitch on the stock too, plus right LOP. I blacked the metal work with slow rust bluing, I flame blued the action screws and niter blued the rings, bolt release catch and the safety catch. I've also polished up the bolt sleeve and replaced the extractor collar with a machined version. I lapped the raceway and the back of the locking lugs, pillar bedded it internally and glass bedded the recoil lug recess and the rear tang base so it's concealed nicely and not visible. I flame blued the sling studs. I also free floated the stock. the stock was sanded down and polished over the course of a month with an intricate process to create the london-stock look.

View attachment 19095View attachment 19096View attachment 19097
I got some black indian buffallo horn and built a replica of the cheap grip cap, and used a block of african blackwood to replicate the standard front tip/end which I think I replicated very well.

I had a number of people helping me with processes and materials on this project, you know who you are, so thank you.
:tiphat:

here's the original I bought, less scope:
View attachment 19089

Here's the finished product:

View attachment 19090View attachment 19091View attachment 19092View attachment 19093

Last edited:
Great stuff PKL, hope she shoots as good as she looks and you have many enjoyable outtings with her!

ATB,

Scrummy

Great stuff PKL, hope she shoots as good as she looks and you have many enjoyable outtings with her!

ATB,

Scrummy

thanks scrummy, given the price, I 'did' give her a season on the reds before committing to the project, I used it for the '11 season with 150g sp's and 180g partitions and it delivered the goods. barrel is in top condition, rifling is sharp and no throat erosion, as far as I recall I was getting sub 1" with fed 150g sp's from 100yds - if it continues to deliver that after glass and pillar bedding it, I'll be very pleased, although one might expect even an improvement.

thanks scrummy, given the price, I 'did' give her a season on the reds before committing to the project, I used it for the '11 season with 150g sp's and 180g partitions and it delivered the goods. barrel is in top condition, rifling is sharp and no throat erosion, as far as I recall I was getting sub 1" with fed 150g sp's from 100yds - if it continues to deliver that after glass and pillar bedding it, I'll be very pleased, although one might expect even an improvement.

Sounds cracking matey. I would like a .30-'06.... Silly French military calibre rules :banghead:

Back