Ned: an introduction

Hi everyone, I'm Ned and I’m another newbie to the site.

Like many of you I joined to ask the odd question, share experiences and generally enjoy conversations connected to shooting – across several disciplines, including shotguns, rim fires and centre fires.
Although I’ve held a shotgun certificate since the age of 15 and enjoy all forms of shooting from clays to driven game and grouse a life spent moving home semi-regularly for work meant I had to wait until recently to apply for my first firearms certificate (at the age of 33 for those who are wondering).

Having taken the advice of my local firearms officer I spent last winter gaining stalking experience with a professional stalker in Northamptonshire and it was time well spent. I should also pay credit to Thames Valley Police who turned my application around in three weeks and I have recently purchased two second-hand rifles: a .17HMR and a 6.5x55. With a reasonable area of land to go at I’m hoping to get plenty of opportunities to get out and enjoy some ‘quiet time’ this autumn.

I’ve recently settled in South Oxfordshire so going out for a morning or an evening’s stalking involves quite a drive so if anyone wants to take pity on me and take me a long with them to something closer to home I’d be only too happy to hear from you. It’s perhaps a bit rich to ask before getting to know anyone, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say!

I look forward to joining some of you in conversation.

hello all,
I'm a deer stalker in east Cambridgeshire. I am a lapsed user of the Stalking Directory, but have returned! I stalk, shoot, pick-up and run a Labrador in field trials.

Regards,
Ned

hello all,
I'm a deer stalker in east Cambridgeshire. I am a lapsed user of the Stalking Directory, but have returned! I stalk, shoot, pick-up and run a Labrador in field trials.

Regards,
Ned
Had I finished reading the comments on writing an introduction, I would have added the following:

I've been stalking for a little over a decade, hold a DSC level 2 and have culled all six species of deer found in the UK. I recently disposed of a 6.5x55 and applied for a variation for a 6.5 PRC. I also have a .30-06 for those days when you need a little more oomph.
I spent the summer of 2021 testing a range of non-toxic ammo in the 6.5x55 but was left less-than-impressed by the results. The lack of what I regard as acceptable non-toxic ammo in this calibre was one reason behind my decision to try the 6.5 PRC. I welcome comments and questions on this decision.

Regards,
Ned

Back