Deer Stalking

Hi there,

As I have said previously I am a 33 year old married woman. My formative years were spent in Europe and predominately Kenya. Coming from a shooting background it is something that I wish to continue since my return to the UK some three years ago. As I now have more time on my hands I would like to become an active member of a Deer Stalking Club where I can further my interest and meet new friends.

Welcome to the forum. I can't help on the club front, but if you specify where you would like to stalk deer there may be stalkers in that area who can help. And as I think was previously mentioned there are two BASC schemes that will help get you out and meet like minded people. :)

Welcome to SD - I hope things work out.

It may be of interest to some on here to know more about how deer stalking is organised in Europe in comparison to how you find things here.

I'm afraid cannot help on the 'club' front only than to echo others than organisations such as BDS and BASc may be a good starting point on which to build contacts.

Many thanks for all of your responses. My previous thread appears to have aroused much debate. I find that Female stalkers in the UK are a minority. I have visited the BASC website and this is basically an association, and not a Club. I also visited the Saint Hubert Club website, as this is just what I was looking for, and I was rather surprised that they do not offer membership to Females, when the quite clearly state that they stalk publicly owned ground. Surely the Forestry Commission can not condone this.
Is there any other Females out there that would wish to join this Club? or indeed form a Female version (and allow male membership)
Just wondered if anyone out there had any views on this.
Many thanks again.

Hi littlemisssureshot. I'll watch with interest how your quest goes. As a new stalker myself I find there are many closed doors to us new comers and as you have found even more for women. May not make you too many friends rattling the cage doors of men only clubs, but might be worth a go see if you become famous as the first member of an all male preserve. ATB. PS when you get that female stalking club up and running keep me in mind. (Since male will be allowed membership of course)

don't be put off by old dusty clubs with antiquated 'gentlemen only' rules - I'm sure there are plenty of both men and women who would be interested in forming a club with you - with modern day rules. perhaps you can take this quite far and make an impact in the community, I'm sure your late father would be quite proud of that given your previous description of his appreciation for clubs, stalking, and fine firearms.

best of luck whichever route you chose to travel.

regards

PKL

Hi there,

As I have said previously I am a 33 year old married woman. My formative years were spent in Europe and predominately Kenya. Coming from a shooting background it is something that I wish to continue since my return to the UK some three years ago. As I now have more time on my hands I would like to become an active member of a Deer Stalking Club where I can further my interest and meet new friends.

Unlucky guys . . . .you can all retire back to your toasty slippers and pipes again :rofl:

Last edited:
LMS- really liked your second post on this thread.

On other threads 'we' are pondering how best to increase interest in fieldsports and participation in various shooting organisations and yet half the population still faces prejudice and intimidation - albeit frequently couched in supposed humour.

Whilst not shooting clubs per se, I would still encourage involvement with either BASC or BDS - in terms of general support for the sport and as a way to make contacts. If you find them unaccommodating - tell them why.

I appreciate you joined SD looking for stalking opportunities, not to have to wage the same old battles. That's another issue that would bear some thinking about by us all.

Many thanks Moray Outfitting for your reply, and also your understanding. I must say I joined here for some help, advice and opinions. I was quite surprised and disappointed that my previous thread was closed due to it being suspicious!! I was in fact only asking a question. However I must say that the majority of people on here have been very helpful
Thanks again everyone.

LMSS - as I noted on RF's thread - it's their problem, not yours. Dont let it put you off.

We get a number of enquiries from lady stalkers and would-be stalkers. The nonsense they have to put up with is ridiculous and sadly a number never follow up their interest.

It's inexcusable and simply shouldn't be the case, but is a depressing fact.

The female side of the equation aside, there isn't the same structure of hunting clubs here in the UK as on the continent. There are syndicates, which are close.

Whilst it should not be necessary and really only panders to prejudice, I think you may find there is an interest in both the club type structure and a format that gives ladies an opportunity to find their stalking 'feet'. Geographically not ideal, but if you wish to pursue that and we can help in any way, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Last edited:
You could write to the St Huberts club introducing yourself and explaining your situation. Many antiquated organisations have changed policy over the years and an event will have instigated this at some point. Perhaps they are just waiting to hear from you?

Are you a member of BASC? If so, you could write to them explaining your situation again and see if they can come up with a women's stalking club under their umbrella perhaps?

I don't believe you should have to do either, but sadly the real world situation is that a bit of a push may be needed in some areas. A good friend of mine introduces many people to stalking. He does have a few female clients and he has also said that he'd like to see more women becoming involved in the hobby. I can pass on his details if you'd like to contact him. It may be that he could arrange for you to meet other female stalkers that stalk his ground. I know it's not what you have asked for, but it may be a start?

ATB
MJ

Welcome to the site :thumb:

Now that the lady has posted an intro, can the other thread be unlocked?... I want to hear more about the illegal hunting in Kenya.

Last edited:
I personally do not have problems with men only clubs, in the same way that I do not have any problems with women only clubs. It is very unfortunate that in your chosen sport there are very few clubs of the type you require. It is even more unfortunate that one of the few that does exist has a male only policy. In the PC world we live in today I like the idea of being able to go to a club where there are only men-should I choose too. I think we would only be lying if we said that we don't behave differently when there are women present, and equally women behave differently when men are not around too (Ever seen an Ann Summers party--very scary). How would everybody feel if all pubs had to accept kids at any hour of the day instead of excluding them at certain times or sometimes completely? That surely is ageism. The fact is that clubs are private organisations and they can and should be able to decide who their members are.

Rant over..... have you tried the Royal Berkshire Shooting grounds. I believe they have a womens only shotgun club/team that runs out of there. They may have more ideas than a bunch of misogynistic old gits!!:rofl:

Hi there,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking about here. Or more precisely, what do you have in mind when you talk about a "deer stalking club"?

We have many shooting associations of one sort or another here in the UK and you seem to be aware of some of those. However, the use of the term "club" isn't one that I'm aware of often (if ever) being associated with deer. I mean, we do have target shooting clubs of various sorts, whether they be rifle discipline based or use shotgun, as in "clay pigeon clubs" but with deer the nearest equivalent that I am aware of would be paying syndicates. I do know that "hunting clubs" exist on the European mainland, which one might join to acquire knowledge, training, experience and qualification prior to acquiring hunting permits and also contacts that might subsequently lead to hunting opportunities, but we don't really do it that way here. It all tends to be much more ad hoc and DIY with commercial interests providing the education and qualification and either groups of like minded friends forming syndicates (sometimes not even friends, just a bunch of guys , or guyettes, :oops: with someone administering the leases) to lease ground for stalking or there are also many variations on the "pay per play" stalking theme, from the likes of those advertising on here.

I hope this helps and apologise unreservedly if I'm either just repeating the words of others or seem insulting and/or condescending in posting this.

Last edited:
Littlemisssureshot keep at it, all the women that I have met that stalk have been very capable of doing the job unlike some of their male counterparts.
Al

Back