Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FAC application advice please

FAC application advice please

I am filling out my FAC application and saw that there are 5 spaces for guns you would like to acquire.
    I will be doing a fair bit of pest control and also shooting down a range the calibers i was thing of are;

.22rf - pest/vermin & range
    .17hmr - pest/vermin & range
    .223/5.56 - pest/vermin (fox mainly) & range
    .243 - Deer/range
    FAC Shotgun - corvids (or anyone have another good reason for having one?)
    .375H&H - Range (this is really if sometime in the future i could afford to buy and feed one i would love one)

As you can see there are 6 listed there but the form allows for 5. Is there an extra section to fill in or is 5 pushing it to start with anyway?
    Just thought i'd ask some people with experience. All answers appreciated.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by filzee View Post
    I am filling out my FAC application and saw that there are 5 spaces for guns you would like to acquire.
    I will be doing a fair bit of pest control and also shooting down a range the calibers i was thing of are;

.22rf - pest/vermin & range
    .17hmr - pest/vermin & range
    .223/5.56 - pest/vermin (fox mainly) & range
    .243 - Deer/range
    FAC Shotgun - corvids (or anyone have another good reason for having one?)
    .375H&H - Range (this is really if sometime in the future i could afford to buy and feed one i would love one)

As you can see there are 6 listed there but the form allows for 5. Is there an extra section to fill in or is 5 pushing it to start with anyway?
    Just thought i'd ask some people with experience. All answers appreciated.

Phil
    Phil

I'll wish you good luck in your application. However I think you may need it. Six firearms at your initial application may be 'ambitious'. Unless you have a watertight case for good reason. Your comments on the Section 1 shotgun and .375 make me think you may have issues being granted these. Do you have a letter from a farmer saying you are to assist him with corvid destruction as part of your application already? If not, and assuming you're not a member of a practical shotgunning club I think you'll struggle. As for the .375, do you really have 'good reason' to be granted one now? Be realistic? If you're a member of a range which allows that calibre, then you might get it.

As the advice offered by forces varies, I'd suggest you call your licensing department and ask them directly as this is the only way of getting a definitive answer. In theory you could request this on a covering letter and submit it with your form, but they'll be able to answer this.

I'd be interested to know how successful you are in a couple of months time. As I suspect others will be!

From the list of rifles you have posted above, I would do away with the .223/5.56 and settle for the .243 for fox and Deer.
    Use an 87grHpt bullet for fox and Deer up to Roe, for the larger species of Deer I'd use 100gr bullets.

Apply for them all then see whether you get them or just some. You can always compromise at a later date but if you don't ask you won't get.
    Also remember to app,y for any moderators you wish to acquire, these are classed as separate items.
    you may need additional space, you are allowed to attach supplementary sheets to you app,I action as long as they are signed and dated.
    i found a cover letter outlining I detail the need for each firearm was useful, they need to tick their boxes and additional info often helps them to help you.
    keep copies of everything!
    hope this helps

Good luck with your application Filzee .... I think you will need it !

Not sure what the FLO guys are like in your area but I know for a fact there is not a hope in hell of an initial application being granted those firearms from the FLO guys in Grampian.

Do you really need all those calibres ? Will you definately be purchasing all those within the next 5 years ? .... if not, I would look to review your list and think about different bullet weights as per previous posters.

Good Luck

CVK

Phil i think your trying to run before you walk better to have a .22 and go for a 243 for fox and deer that will cover most of what you need for now. Once you gain experience then go for bigger calibres regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

When you specify each firearm put (with sound mod) on the end.

Dont worry about the form "allowing" 5 - they just have 5 slots. My first FAC application had 7 - it was multiples of the same calibre. You only have to be able to justify them.

If i was you pal i would stick with a 22rf for rabbits and .243 for fox and deer for now, I would be amazed if you got a section 1 shotgun on your first application i had a nightmare getting mine.Learn to shoot the 243 and you will probably find you don't need another calibre.

ATB Andy

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    Phil

I'll wish you good luck in your application. However I think you may need it. Six firearms at your initial application may be 'ambitious'. Unless you have a watertight case for good reason. Your comments on the Section 1 shotgun and .375 make me think you may have issues being granted these. Do you have a letter from a farmer saying you are to assist him with corvid destruction as part of your application already? If not, and assuming you're not a member of a practical shotgunning club I think you'll struggle. As for the .375, do you really have 'good reason' to be granted one now? Be realistic? If you're a member of a range which allows that calibre, then you might get it.

As the advice offered by forces varies, I'd suggest you call your licensing department and ask them directly as this is the only way of getting a definitive answer. In theory you could request this on a covering letter and submit it with your form, but they'll be able to answer this.

I'd be interested to know how successful you are in a couple of months time. As I suspect others will be!
    Yhanks.
    The range i shoot at does allow such guns as the .375 as two of the members already have them and shoot them down there.
    I have letters from 3 different Farmers giving me permission for pest control, corvids, and deer with land totaling now about 1200 acres and one of them has just bought another farm so should get the permission on that too.
    I have done everything i could think of to jump through the hoops to hopefully get these guns.
    I do realise that the .375 may be a bit adventurous but i was told to apply for everything you wanted instead of having to shell out 26 everytime you want something new. The .375 would in thoery just be a target rifle so as i am a member of a range that has a limit of 7000joules(might have miss-pelt that) it does allow these.
    I will keep you all informed but the rate Notts police are processing applications it might take several decades!

Account Suspended
    It's not a "lucky dip"

It is not a case of; apply for anything that comes up your hump and then wait to see if "they" say yes or no. It just doesn't work that way at all.

In applying for a Fire Arms Certificate you are required, inter alia, to provide good reason for possessing those things which you seek to possess. Do that and provided you are a fit and proper person to have firearms you shall be granted your license. That IS all there is to it.