Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: can you dismantle loaded ammo?

can you dismantle loaded ammo?

Looking at a second hand rifle which is being sold with a load of reloading equipment, including 60 rounds of home loaded ammo. Obviously I wouldn't be happy using said ammo, but can you dismantle and then reload them yourself? As you can guess, i'm not a reloader as yet, planning to learn, otherwise the answer to this might be clear!

Ta everso.......

It's illegal to do so - which may seem strange but doing so is an ABSOLUTE OFFENCE
    It's also illegal to sell home-loaded ammunition without a CIP Licence

Hmmmm, ok.....wasn't quite what I was expecting to hear! Rifle is being sold by an RFD online, I presume the ammo is home loaded as it is coming with a load or once fired brass and numerous boxes of bullets... How very strange, is there any reason for it being ilegal?

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    It's illegal to do so - which may seem strange but doing so is an ABSOLUTE OFFENCE
    It's also illegal to sell home-loaded ammunition without a CIP Licence
    That is news to me (although to be honest I had never thought about it). I have dismantled my home loads and never given it a second thought.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

So if I make a mistake when doing my reloading, I'm breaking the law when I strip down the offending rounds?
    Why then can we buy kinetic hammers and bullet pullers?

Al

I would suggest the seller is selling the rifle which comes with (free of charge) ammo. Not sure why you would have a problem using said ammo if person selling rifle made it to suit that particular rifle. Otherwise take ammo and using kinetic puller just "pull" bullets empty out powder (which may be of unknown origin to you) so dispose of appropiately. Burn in small quantities in an open area outside. then without removing primer reload to a suitable specification. If you own this ammo I see no reason why you are not free to do as you wish with it. Perhaps saddler can point me in the direction of the LAW which prohibits this. If I made a round up then for what ever reason wanted to re-seat bullet further in or out or had a round which had a faulty primer I would just pull it and re-load. If its illegal to pull bullets how is it we can buy kinetic hammers?

Woodmaster~ thanks (and all above) seems to make sense to be able to do as you suggest. Also quite plausable that the ammo is 'free' with the deal. As for using ammo loaded by someone I don't know, I thought this was a big no no? The rifle is being sold by an RFD not by the previous owner, so I have no idea as to the age/type of ammo so surely this would be best reloaded by the new owner (be that me or someone else....?).

http://www.official-documents.gov.uk.../0074/0074.pdf

Page 68 onwards

The practice of "unmaking" ammunition also raised it head during the VCR bill, but never made it into the Act

The bullet pullers & kinetic hammers are sold, as they are legal in the countries that make them, simply as part of the product ranges of said companies.

I know of a few shops selling shotgun pistol grips & folding stocks, which if fitted to a shotgun would make it in breach of UK law...the shops are aware of this yet still sell them.
    Lots of products can easily fall into the illegal category yet are legal to buy...

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    http://www.official-documents.gov.uk.../0074/0074.pdf

Page 68 onwards

The practice of "unmaking" ammunition also raised it head during the VCR bill, but never made it into the Act

The bullet pullers & kinetic hammers are sold, as they are legal in the countries that make them, simply as part of the product ranges of said companies.

I know of a few shops selling shotgun pistol grips & folding stocks, which if fitted to a shotgun would make it in breach of UK law...the shops are aware of this yet still sell them.
    Lots of products can easily fall into the illegal category yet are legal to buy...
    Saddler. Not sure if you are just trying to crimanalise most of the countries re-loaders or just trying to stir things. I haven't bothered to read the atatchment YET. However doesn't the first line of your reply say it all. "The practice of "unmaking" ammunition also raised it head during the VCR bill, but never made it into the Act. " If it never made it into the act then it can not be law.

Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    Saddler. Not sure if you are just trying to crimanalise most of the countries re-loaders or just trying to stir things. I haven't bothered to read the atatchment YET. However doesn't the first line of your reply say it all. "The practice of "unmaking" ammunition also raised it head during the VCR bill, but never made it into the Act. " If it never made it into the act then it can not be law.
    NOT stirring or trying to criminalise folk - the latter would be the case.
    The act of un-making live rounds being only allowed by commercially licenced CIP registered companies WAS supposed to be addressed by the VCR Act, but wasn't

Try bothering to read the pdf I posted...or not, your choice