Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer rights and firearms

Consumer rights and firearms

MY LOCAL GUN DEALER HAS HAD MY 270 ESTATE RIFLE FOR 6mts now under warranty for repair with no sign of it being done and returned they just keep saying that GMK havn't fixed it or are still waiting for the part i feel that enough time has passed now that i need the matter resolved as i need an estate rifle, any one know my legal rights as being nice and understanding hasn't moved things along at all?

What's wrong with it and how long had you owned it before it packed in?

Speak to consumer direct they will advise on the type of letter to write

Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    MY LOCAL GUN DEALER HAS HAD MY 270 ESTATE RIFLE FOR 6mts now under warranty for repair with no sign of it being done and returned they just keep saying that GMK havn't fixed it or are still waiting for the part i feel that enough time has passed now that i need the matter resolved as i need an estate rifle, any one know my legal rights as being nice and understanding hasn't moved things along at all?
    Talk to GMK direct before you do anything, for their version of the situation, and I bet you will get a different story

I spoke to GMK, about getting a beretta AL391 stock repaired. They told me all tikka/sako/beretta etc, need to go back to the factory for repairs, under their warranty.

They only send guns out about every 3 months, when they have enough to make the shipping worthwhile, and then they wait a similar time for them to return.

I was quoted 8 months for the stock repair............

So yours could wait in this country for 3 months before travelling, then go to the factory for repairs, the wait a similar time before it travels back.

Completely unacceptable, and probably in legal terms an unreasonable time to have to wait.

Good luck.

Your rights are the same for any other product, your contract is with the people who supplied it, not the maker, demand a refund or replacement product. Contact trading standards.
    To many gun dealers offer a shoddy service, of you want to see how good service can be, buy a gun off the tunnel range, I stripped a thread on my pistol, it's 11mths old, heli coil fitted, pistol stripped and cleaned, no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by David TS View Post
    Talk to GMK direct before you do anything, for their version of the situation, and I bet you will get a different story
    You will get a different story perhaps but that doesn't mean that it will be the right story. It's irrelevant anyway because your contract is with the supplier not with GMK who are only the importers/distributors. As Matt Perring says contact consumer direct or trading standards and resolve the matter that way.
    I had a similar situation back last year with a faulty Leupold scope and frankly was far too tolerant of Uttings who were the suppliers. I should have said forget about repairing it if you can't do so in two weeks and either replace it or refund it. Instead of that I allowed them to send it back to GMK for repair and ended up waiting months on end for my scope to be repaired. Never again will I be so tolerant.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Had a similar thing happen to me, when I challenged the supplier it turned out they hadn't received it - the dealer hadn't even sent the bloody thing off and was just fobbing me off because he was too lazy to post it! :S

its not your problem how often they ship them back.
    if you have paid for something and cant use it for 6 months either get it replaced or get a refund.

if it is being repaired under warranty they have an obligation to do so in a reasonable amount of time. 6m is not that

Under the sale of goods act you are entitled to a refund or replacement if the goods are not fit for purpose, that aplies to any goods including firearms and as has already been stated the contract is between you and the retailer.
    All retailers know this but hope you dont hence they try and fob you off with excuses.

Ian.