Consumer rights and firearms

CWMMAN3738

MY LOCAL GUN DEALER HAS HAD MY 270 ESTATE RIFLE FOR 6mts now under warranty for repair with no sign of it being done and returned they just keep saying that GMK havn't fixed it or are still waiting for the part i feel that enough time has passed now that i need the matter resolved as i need an estate rifle, any one know my legal rights as being nice and understanding hasn't moved things along at all?

MY LOCAL GUN DEALER HAS HAD MY 270 ESTATE RIFLE FOR 6mts now under warranty for repair with no sign of it being done and returned they just keep saying that GMK havn't fixed it or are still waiting for the part i feel that enough time has passed now that i need the matter resolved as i need an estate rifle, any one know my legal rights as being nice and understanding hasn't moved things along at all?

Talk to GMK direct before you do anything, for their version of the situation, and I bet you will get a different story ;)

I spoke to GMK, about getting a beretta AL391 stock repaired. They told me all tikka/sako/beretta etc, need to go back to the factory for repairs, under their warranty.

They only send guns out about every 3 months, when they have enough to make the shipping worthwhile, and then they wait a similar time for them to return.

I was quoted 8 months for the stock repair............

So yours could wait in this country for 3 months before travelling, then go to the factory for repairs, the wait a similar time before it travels back.

Completely unacceptable, and probably in legal terms an unreasonable time to have to wait.

Good luck.

Your rights are the same for any other product, your contract is with the people who supplied it, not the maker, demand a refund or replacement product. Contact trading standards.
To many gun dealers offer a shoddy service, of you want to see how good service can be, buy a gun off the tunnel range, I stripped a thread on my pistol, it's 11mths old, heli coil fitted, pistol stripped and cleaned, no charge.

Talk to GMK direct before you do anything, for their version of the situation, and I bet you will get a different story ;)

You will get a different story perhaps but that doesn't mean that it will be the right story. It's irrelevant anyway because your contract is with the supplier not with GMK who are only the importers/distributors. As Matt Perring says contact consumer direct or trading standards and resolve the matter that way.
I had a similar situation back last year with a faulty Leupold scope and frankly was far too tolerant of Uttings who were the suppliers. I should have said forget about repairing it if you can't do so in two weeks and either replace it or refund it. Instead of that I allowed them to send it back to GMK for repair and ended up waiting months on end for my scope to be repaired. Never again will I be so tolerant.

Had a similar thing happen to me, when I challenged the supplier it turned out they hadn't received it - the dealer hadn't even sent the bloody thing off and was just fobbing me off because he was too lazy to post it! :S

its not your problem how often they ship them back.
if you have paid for something and cant use it for 6 months either get it replaced or get a refund.

if it is being repaired under warranty they have an obligation to do so in a reasonable amount of time. 6m is not that

Under the sale of goods act you are entitled to a refund or replacement if the goods are not fit for purpose, that aplies to any goods including firearms and as has already been stated the contract is between you and the retailer.
All retailers know this but hope you dont hence they try and fob you off with excuses.

Ian.

I had the similar thing, some ten years ago, with a shot gun in for repair. It lasted for nearly ONE YEAR! Eventually? I just contacted the Firearms Licensing Department of that force area and asked if they could advise if, in fact, the dealer had still got the weapon or if he had actually LOST it!

It was suddenly produced, with all the work done, within ONE WEEK!

I would simply ask the dealer for the gun back and then contact GMK about another dealer that can get the thing sent to them. If the original dealer can't produce the rifle within ONE WEEK of you sending a request by Recorded Delivery then I'd speak to the police and advise that you think it is missing.

You will get a different story perhaps but that doesn't mean that it will be the right story. It's irrelevant anyway because your contract is with the supplier not with GMK who are only the importers/distributors. As Matt Perring says contact consumer direct or trading standards and resolve the matter that way.
I had a similar situation back last year with a faulty Leupold scope and frankly was far too tolerant of Uttings who were the suppliers. I should have said forget about repairing it if you can't do so in two weeks and either replace it or refund it. Instead of that I allowed them to send it back to GMK for repair and ended up waiting months on end for my scope to be repaired. Never again will I be so tolerant.

I'm aware that the contract is with the retailer, my point of talking to GMK is that before you can fix the problem, you need to know what the problem is.

A little fact finding to establish exactly what the full story is, and most importantly where the problem lies, is always time well spent :)

Tell them they have had it long enough and you want it either replacing or your money back in writing giving them say 2 weeks. If that fails issue a court summons that won't cost too much and issue that to them. I suspect that you will either get the gun repaired or a refund/ replacement.

With due respect, you NEED to talk to your local retail trading standards and be advised of your rights under the banner. Many of the posts have the correct information in part, many don't, and are advising incorrectly, you have already lost some of your rights by accepting a repair rather than replacement or a refund. GMK are the importers, not the suppler of the goods, or the after sales service, GET THE CORRECT ADVICE FROM YOU LOCAL RETAIL STANDARDS OFFICER, make sure you have a complete detailed account of what You have done and what the retailer has NOT done. deerwarden

deer, by accepting a repair you certainly don't give up any of your rights. You can choose to accept, or not, a repair of the item. If you choose to accept a repair, and the repair either isn't satisfactory, or doesn't happen in a reasonable timescale, then you are still entitled to a refund or replacement (if you would have been intitled to one in the first place).

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau can offer useful advice, as can your local council's trading standards team, or the CAB website has some useful info if you can manage to navigate it.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...aulty_goods_-_if_you_want_your_money_back.htm

If my gun became faulty and was under a year old I'd looking for a refund if it couldn't be fixed quickly. How valid that claim for a refund would be is an interesting question :-|

I'm pretty sure though that asking you to wait 6 months for a repair is totally unfair and unacceptable.

Last edited:
thanks guys following this thread which i know at least 1 of the staff there had read it suddenly appeared within a few days with the ejector pin in the bolt replaced/released but it still seems an excessive amount of time for such a tiny repair hopefully nothing else will go wrong as warranty is out now.

Glad you got a result. Sometimes exposing shoddy customer service by the power of ' the pen' seems to have the desired affect.

Back