Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 243 bullet?

Which 243 bullet?

Bullet choice for 243 please. Parameters:

100 gn - so am deer legal for all species - I have used the RWS 100gn for many years, but it is now very expensive and bullet is a bit soft.

Needs to have good penetration. I want reliable penetration on a through shoulder shot on a Red Hind, but with enough expansion to give good transfer.

Hornady 100 gn soft point, or should I look at a partition or bonded bullet?

For several years I used Sierra Gamekings however I got a batch that were much 'softer' and did unacceptable damage on Fallow. I have found that Speer bullets that are designed for deer seem 'harder' and do less damage but kill well. I now use them in .243 and .30-06, 85 and 165 grain respectively.

If you have a look on the ammunition and ballistics section of the forum, someone posted a link to a site.

www. ballisticstudies.com/

Lots of information on the properties of different bullets, should find what you are looking for there.

Nosler Partition. Very good and exellent penetration. Loaded by Federal and probably Sako.

partition is excellent, but expensive.

if you can source the norma 100g SP bullets you're in business - personally, I'd say they are 99% as good on UK game as the partition, and in some ways better. I know very few will recommend this, but that's most likely because they've not seen how good they are in the factory ammo. I think perhaps midway uk will sell you the bullets?

Thanks gents - PKL - had forgotten Norma 100 gn. Was very impressed when saw them used on Red hinds, better than RWS, but didn't group as well in my rifle. But if home loading I might get a sweet spot.

Anybody used the Hornady 100 gn bullet. I am keen to stick at 100 gn so as to stay on the correct side of the law, although by law of averages 50% of 100 gn bullets are below legal limit ie 99.9995 gn!

Hi

I've used 100grn interlocks for a few years and they've been perfect and quite widely available. Used them in all the .243's I've owned and, once I've sorted a load for the specific rifle, they've been very consistent.

FN

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Thanks gents - PKL - had forgotten Norma 100 gn. Was very impressed when saw them used on Red hinds, better than RWS, but didn't group as well in my rifle. But if home loading I might get a sweet spot.

Anybody used the Hornady 100 gn bullet. I am keen to stick at 100 gn so as to stay on the correct side of the law, although by law of averages 50% of 100 gn bullets are below legal limit ie 99.9995 gn!

i have just started reloading hornday 100grn BTSP yesteday. had a test fire today with varying results so s few teething probloms but going the correct direction. will get back to you if i fine a good load.

Hi Heym
    I have been using the Hornady 100gr BTSP interlocks for about a year now and I'm getting great results with both accuracy and knockdown power.
    I am loading them over 38grs Hodgdon H414 with federal match primers. Rifle is a Tikka T3

i use a sako 90gr soft point which i know wont be any good for you but they do do a 100gr version, i find the 90gr very flat shooting and extremly acurate out of my rifle and the meat damage isnt heavy either so i would imagine that the 100gr isnt a million miles away