Thread: Customising a Tikka m595 in .22-250

Customising a Tikka m595 in .22-250

I have a Tikka m595 in .22-250 which I love to bits. I have made up a decent load for it and can get 5 shots in a pound coin everytime just from a bipod off the bonnet of my truck at 100 yards everytime. I want to make this a bit better. I have a decent scope, a Schmidt and Bender 4-16x50 which I really like. I am thinking about a Mcmillan stock or similar, but I wanted to ask a few questions on what I should do and where I can get some parts from and what to do.
    Should I bed the action in the black Synthetic stock I have for it, or should I buy a better stock and then bed the action? Glass or Pillar, whats the difference?
    I will re barrell the rifle when the old barrell is shot out, but what should I go for?
    Tactical Bolt knob/handle, where can I get one of these from? In stainless or Black, not fussed, although the bolt is Stainless aswell as the barrell and action.
    It is Wearing a Stainless PES T12 scout which is a good mod, but thinking of something a bit lighter? (mod is off ticket of someone wants to do a deal)
    Is there anything else I can do?

i would have a silver bolt handle on it if you want one. to match your action and barrel. the smith i use charges around 75 to supply and fit this.
    as for the stock i wouldn't bed the standard stock as there not the best stocks anyway and the bedding job would be worth mor ethne the stock !

a mcmillan stock will set you back around 460 from jackson rifles. then if you bed it your looking around 150 to 250 for that depending on who is doing it. so it isn't cheap.
    if it was me and i got a mcmillan i would see how it shoots with that 1st. before bedding it.

but to be fair if your getting the groups you say you are. i think it would be really hard to improve on that so is it worth spending the extra money. as for the mod. there are alot out there.
    i like the ase mods

The groups are genuine, im not a willy waver. I shot nearly 200 rounds in my development process to get the best group possible. I have decided I am not going to fully custom it, I am going to get a new tube when the current one is shot out.
    For the moment I am going to get a tactical bolt knob fitted in Stainless like you said and maybe tune the trigger although it is pretty clean at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by 12borejimbo View Post
    The groups are genuine, im not a willy waver. I shot nearly 200 rounds in my development process to get the best group possible. I have decided I am not going to fully custom it, I am going to get a new tube when the current one is shot out.
    For the moment I am going to get a tactical bolt knob fitted in Stainless like you said and maybe tune the trigger although it is pretty clean at the moment.
    you have done the right thing mate. i have a mcmillan stock on mine. but i didn't buy it new. it come with the rifle when i had it off a friend. i like the laminated stocks for the m595

Have you checked out the GRS stocks. Laminate adjustable and very different in appearance.

NEW!! Decima Sporter

SD Regular
    I have the same rifle and am contemplating the same sort of thing. I am very taken with the GRS stock. I'd be interested in where you will source your tactical bolt knob from. Mine is walnut and blue in original configuration - and left handed. Shoots really well too. I currently use an ATEC CMM4 on it, and am thinking about an ASE Utra as per a previous poster.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I have a GRS stock on my Tikke M59 - 223 - really comfortable stock and doesn'y look bad either.
    Heres a pic when I had it on my 590 - 243

ATB
    Alan

I have a 595 22-250 Continental. It came with a factory fitted large bolt knob. I had it bedded into a laminate stock from Boyds or Richards, I can't remember which. I thinking of getting my stocker to fit a comb raiser mechanism similar to the ones used on trapguns.

It shoots very well indeed.

if it ain't broke don..........

SD Regular
    At the time this thread was started, I too was looking into the personalisation of my own Tikka 595 22.250, a Left Hand model. As ever, the 'sinister' side of this made it more complicated to achieve, but I am now on the verge of completion - just need to find a window of lower use to send the unit to Jamie for a Graphite Cerakote.

Here is a picture of the work to date:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	380.7 KB 
ID:	32711

Starting with a standard walnut and blue Tikka 595, the following has happened:

Screwcut and cap, plus trigger tune - with thanks to Brock and Norris for an excellent job as always.

Third Eye Tactical picatinny rail - getting screws was a pain, but nice to find a manufacturer catering for the afflicted.

A GRS Adjustable Hunter Stock in Green Mountain Camo. Special order only for LH, but well worth it, I think. Action dropped straight in and is an excellent fit. Surprisingly, it has added little to the overall weight and the adjustable LoP and cheek riser are a Godsend when using rear mounted NV. My thanks to Adam at Athina Sporting for his perseverance in sorting this out.

Tactical bolt knob and shroud. I have to give a massive shout out to Colin at Atlasworxs (info@atlasworxs.com) for listening and helping where others computers said 'No'. I wanted to replace the complete bolt arm rather than cut and rethread, but it appeared while this was possible for T3's, not so for a 595. He has been a star, listening, measuring and sorting and I am delighted with the results. We are currently looking into working on the bottom metal and trigger guard patterns, so watch this space. In the meantime, if you want a tactical bolt handle for your 595, please mail him and I'm sure he will do his best to assist. As an added bonus, his prices are excellent.

The rest is sort of standard stuff - a good Harris bipod, with the podlock handle conversion to make the tilt mechanism easier to adjust and tighten; a Niggeloh backpack sling; a solid NF scope and Warne QD's (the NF rings weren't quite low enough) - and an ATEC Maxim. With a 50gr VMax home load keyholing at the 4k mark, this is a fantastic fox basher and I think it looks pretty special to boot.

Just thought I'd share as I know there have been others who are looking to do similar and these pointers may save them some time. Please feel free to PM me if you want any more details.

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........