Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why never in the UK

Why never in the UK

Midway US have the following bargains on offer for anyone looking for a Zeiss scope

http://www.midwayusa.com/epromolisti...homepage042009

Just another example of the additional financial burden we as UK shooters have to deal with when compared to the USA and Australia. to name just 2 countries where their sportsmen are not held to ransom by the supplies and retailers.

And do you REALLY want to import a refurbished (secondhand) zeiss from the USA and take a chance on the warranty?

Oh...and don't forget to add your import duty if HMRC catch it. No thanks, I'll give those a miss mate.

Personally no. But some cash strapped newbie might be willing to give it a try.

A Zeiss scope still backed by the Zeiss guarantee for as little as 350. Some one might consider it worth a punt.

But you seem to have missed the point. Rather than advocating that someone should part with their hard earned money. I was merely using the sale as an exaple of how the UK shooters always seem to get the shitty end of the stick when it come to the price of goods and services when compared to the US, Aussies and continentals.

I get the point and you are absolutely right, but it is not just shooting gear is it, it's most things. I've found that if you find something in the states and then look at the retail price here, most of the time $100 means 100 over here, I think we are being ripped off, we always have.

Because of the new anti-terrorism laws in the US, more and more companies are finding it extremely difficult to export sporting goods.

We import goods from the US and we are finding that we are spending more and more time filling in forms, we even have to fill in an end user form relating to what the product will be used for.
    Also there is now a new fee of $1200 for a 2 year export license for firearms and their related products..
    We also get slapped with an import duty of approximately 4% and VAT and by the time you into account freight charges, like someone said $100 becomes 100...
    25 % of our cost is on freight and VAT/Duty.
    While as an individual you can personally import certain goods and get away without paying the above costs,legitimate business's can't.

And don't forget the exchange rate is not what it used to be..

$1.39=1.00

$1000 S&B = 720 +duty @4%= 748+ VAt@15%= 860 +p&p

1000 Smidt from the UK with all its warranties " priceless"

you pay's your money and makes your choice..

regards
    griff

This also applies to American fishing tackle sold here and I have to give full credit to Mick Bell of Bloke tackle who is importing some US reels and selling them for the same price as they are sold for in the US converted to . That is a reel selling for $135 in the US sells for 100 here. Top man!!

SD Regular
    Errm...I think these Conquest 'scopes have been covered on another Forum I belong to. They are assembled in the USA not made or assembled in Germany. There is NO warranty cover for them in Europe whatsoever at all and if they go wrong have to go back to the factory where they are assembled in the USA. Which may go a long way to explain why they are not available in any European country.

Amen to griff and enfield. At least some understand the true costs of legit importation from the U.S. and Europe.

Re enfield - not true!!

I bought one of these scopes on evilbay (sometimes you need to live dangerously ) and it cost me 330 delivered. It's a 1.8-5.5x 38 - yes made in America (I'm assuming by Leupold? - dunno if that connection still exits?). I had no idea what to expect but the scope was A1 - brand new and with excellent optics - only one problem - the reticle - it was a skinny plex thing and no use to me . It is currently with Carl Zeiss in Wetzlar having this changed (96 Euro incl shipping) and so far they have been brilliant and answered every query by email - no mention whatsoever of 'we're not touching that'.

If it all pans out I have a very scope for a good price .

Quote Originally Posted by griff
    Because of the new anti-terrorism laws in the US, more and more companies are finding it extremely difficult to export sporting goods.

We import goods from the US and we are finding that we are spending more and more time filling in forms, we even have to fill in an end user form relating to what the product will be used for.
    Also there is now a new fee of $1200 for a 2 year export license for firearms and their related products..
    We also get slapped with an import duty of approximately 4% and VAT and by the time you into account freight charges, like someone said $100 becomes 100...
    25 % of our cost is on freight and VAT/Duty.
    While as an individual you can personally import certain goods and get away without paying the above costs,legitimate business's can't.

And don't forget the exchange rate is not what it used to be..

$1.39=1.00

$1000 S&B = 720 +duty @4%= 748+ VAt@15%= 860 +p&p

1000 Smidt from the UK with all its warranties " priceless"

you pay's your money and makes your choice..

regards
    griff

I think people are missing the point here. Why are UK retailers marking these products up so much? How can it be possible to export a scope from germany to the US then back to the UK + pay import duty and VAT and the item is still cheaper than an item shiped straight to the UK from Germany??

The Dealers are having a laugh at our expense same with Remington rifles. even when it was $2 to 1 you were still paying the same in s as they were paying in the states in $s. I would imagine the importers are bringing in ISO containers at a time which massivel reduces the cost of shiping over single items in the postal system.

Dave