Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stalking club

stalking club

Following on from the debates raised after littlemisssureshot asked if one existed. Although many responses, I don't think anyone actually raised the thought on starting one. A massive undertaking by anyone, however there is a great example with the likes of essex wildfowling club as with others who through membership, donation,etc have over the years amassed many acres of foreshore for the use of their members. I wonder what the apetite would be for people to investigate the fesability of running a club on a similar system with the aim of supplying sustainable stalking for members who would be stakeholders in the land aquired. Whether this land was to be owned (preferential but high capital cost) or on long term lease. Question is are there enough stalkers who would be prepared to put cash into the legalities and setting up of such a scheme along with the time it would take for the membership to get something up and running. There are plenty of syndicates who's members make no profit but equally have no say in the running which is down to the lease holder who may or may not make a profit. What I am suggesting is a scheme run as a mutual organisation. Thoughts please.

Too many dodgy people out there. Would you get involved with a lot of strangers who may shoot out the pieces of land you aquire? A syndicate with people you know and trust would be more attractive to me personally.

A very interesting concept. I'd be very interested in principal, but it would depend on the stalking available and the cost of joining.
    as said above, it might be a bit risky depending on who else was in the club - not sure there would be an effective way to control this though other than trust?

WM - a perfectly valid and potentially interesting thread.

There have been some commercial efforts in that direction - but they tend to not be long lived.

A similar proposal comes up every so often on the Bushcraft type forums ( fora? ) but not aware of any that actually come off.

In theory, shouldn't be so different from a syndicate - which system does seem to work. I suspect MJ75 captures the key aspect.

Would be very interested to hear other views.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I certainly do Moray I proposed something not too disimilar four and a half years ago on this very forum :-

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...orum-Syndicate

Maybe I was naive at the time, but I've since read about too many people being stitched up financialy. And this makes me wary. It is a good idea if everyone who joined was a decent, honest person. Sadly this isn't always the case.

* PS back in those days the forum was a different place and the word beaver featured in far too many threads. lol

There is a lot that could be done to make stalking more accessible and available to those who want it. I was having a similar conversation with another forum member not too long ago. If I didn't have a nine till five job and run a hobby business on top I'd probably atempt to start a similar 'club' / syndicate with friends. I'll wish the OP good luck with his venture if he chooses to go for it.
    Last edited by MJ75; 12-09-2012 at 18:26.

Is that not a similar concept to the website that someone was promoting on here a few weeks ago? Shooting uk? Something like that. When you read about it, there was some bloke who was declared the Antichrist (rightly or wrongly).

It sounds a bit like communism to me; a nice idea which would probably work if humans weren't genetically predisposed to greed.

As I said in another thread there used to be one in yorkshire, don't know if anyone else on here knows or remembers anything about it.

This would have been about twenty five or thirty years ago, dont really know much about it don't know
    what sort of stalking ground they had size or what ever.

What I do remember is that they used to buy some days on the hinds in Scotland, and a draw was held for places

Believe Tim Hannam was invoved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    Is that not a similar concept to the website that someone was promoting on here a few weeks ago? Shooting uk? Something like that. When you read about it, there was some bloke who was declared the Antichrist (rightly or wrongly).

It sounds a bit like communism to me; a nice idea which would probably work if humans weren't genetically predisposed to greed.
    Could that have been shooting.sh by any chance?

The company has been mentioned on here before, a long time ago.

That's the one! A load of old threads were raked up a month or two ago.

I really liked the idea but like I say, greed wins every time.

I like the idea of been in a stalking club. I have been in a syndicate and it was like a big family and the guy running it set the rules and obviously made a living. I don't see that having a club with the usual club officials would be too difficult. The difficulty arises IMO with logistics. if the ground leased or purchased by members in say Scotland and club members are all south of the border. The land could raped and pillaged of every deer before anyone vists.