Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please of spades

Advice please of spades

Can some body please give me some advice of a good folding spade to carry when out stalking .
    it would be use to dig hole for the Graulloch .something light but small and strong .

ps what do other people use

DJC

SD Regular
    An old rabbit or fox hole , the less gear i carry the better the walk back carrying the carcase
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    An old rabbit or fox hole , the less gear i carry the better the walk back carrying the carcase
    +1 You really don't need to be carrying something like that about, keep things to a minimum that's what I do , the rifles heavy enough.

DJC

Much depends on the ground you are on - both from terrain point of view and the requirements of the land owner.

On soft ground there are usually natural holes and pockets you can take advantage of. If not, the most convenient compromise tends to be one of the hard plastic trowels - the reasonable quality ones - not great; but light and easy to carry.

On hard ground can be more practical to take something to drag gralloch to a suitable disposal point and leave a proper spade in the car.

However, keep in mind that many conservation bodies are asking for gralloch to be left out - discretely - to feed various species groups - most often raptors. Discretely is the key word!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I keep a Army issue folding one in the car but rarely use it! They also come with a plastic carrying pouch which goes onto a belt if you really want to carry it. You'll get one from a surplus store or Evilbay fairly cheap. MS
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AR...item416aab407f

Do people really bury grallochs. I can sort of under stand it in public sensitive areas but not anywhere else. Your depriving everything else of a decent meal. The ones iv returned too the following day there's usually very little left if anything at all.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I keep a Army issue folding one in the car but rarely use it! They also come with a plastic carrying pouch which goes onto a belt if you really want to carry it. You'll get one from a surplus store or Evilbay fairly cheap. MS
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AR...item416aab407f
    Just watch out for cheapo china knock-offs that are not genuine milsurp - they are not made to the same spec and bend/break in no time.

As per other posters, I've never carried one with me or used one in the field. although I keep one of these milsurp German Pioneer shovels in the truck rather than a folder: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/German-Arm...item5d31ca23c3

Quote Originally Posted by DJC View Post
    Can some body please give me some advice of a good folding spade to carry when out stalking .
    it would be use to dig hole for the Graulloch .something light but small and strong .

ps what do other people use

DJC

Hi DJC.

I use a folding camping / Army surplus shovel, and keep it in the roe sack... It only weighs about 1.5 lbs, so not really a hassle for the benefit it gives. The landowner of one permission I have demanded all gralloch is buried as a condition of lease, so I find a dead stump, or rabbit hole, use that as a start, and dig it in / bury it and cover it over with brashings etc....

I almost lost the permission early on as I did bury a gralloch but not deeply enough ( you learn !! ).... Some poor lady walking her terrier was faced with a windpipe, set of lungs, and a heart, running towards her at speed attached to a well chuffed terrier.... The owner said the squeals of the lady still haunts him now !!! At least he saw the funny side after giving me a bollocking....

All the best.

Neil.

Oh, and be sure to bury it at least a metre deep and not near a bore hole, land drain etc....

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/qa/53104..._gralloch.html

You'll probably then need some kind of opencast mining regulation supports to sure-up the sides during this process or you'll undoubtedly contravene some other regulations.
    MS

Or maybe someone would care to come and bury their gralloch in my front garden? I'm contemplating a ground source heat pump borehole and it might save me a few quid if they make a start on it.