Tracking trail lengths?

Mac

Hi All,

This is my first post on the site, but I have been reading through a lot of older posts which have been a great help.

I have a 7 month old GWP which I'm training as a dedicated deer dog. Training is coming on well and she seems to love the work. My question is, how long do you guys make your training trails? I understand that they do 1000m+ on the continent, but is this a realistic distance in the UK? I am up to 300 - 400m (4hrs old) at the moment which doesnt seem to be a problem. I'll probably increase the age of the trail before I increase distance, but would like an idea of your experiences.

Thanks

Mac

Mac said:
Hi All,
I have a 7 month old GWP which I'm training as a dedicated deer dog. Training is coming on well and she seems to love the work. My question is, how long do you guys make your training trails? I understand that they do 1000m+ on the continent, but is this a realistic distance in the UK? I am up to 300 - 400m (4hrs old) at the moment which doesnt seem to be a problem. I'll probably increase the age of the trail before I increase distance, but would like an idea of your experiences.

Thanks

Mac

Mac

I don’t know where you stalk, but up here in Scotland I have tracked deer on a 12 hour trail for 2km. I never trained my GWP to track that far, maybe like you 500 yrds max. But once they know the game they will keep there noise down. ;)

Best rgds

Tahr

tracking

mac

I just got hold of working dogs for deer from the bds website. Its by a danish guy regarded as knowing his stuff.A bit pricey but a pretty good read.
He recomends as a rule of thumb
300m at 6 months
450m at 9 months
600m at 12 months
etc

Good luck Steve

Once your dog is comfortable with the distance, time lapse of the trail then make the trail and the time lapse longer. Also lay out less and less blood when you lay the trail. Do 90 degree turns with out blood for about 10 mtrs but still dragging the hoof. If the dog will do a 500-600mtr trail at 12 hours old it will do a much longer & older trail with out much problem. The secret is, as with all dog training . Don't rush it.

Hi all

Thanks for the advice, I seem to be on the right track then!

My current method of laying trails is to drop a couple of drops of blood every 1 or 2m and to press a roe cleave into the ground at every pace. I've just bought a set of scent shoes and intend on moving onto those and reducing the amount of blood over the summer months.

I'm not in any rush, so will take it at a pace my bitch is comfortable with. She does seem to like a challenge though.

Does anyone know if there is another dog day planned? it would be great to meet up with other people interested in training dogs for deer.

Thanks

Mac

Back