Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good are deer at ground-scenting?

How good are deer at ground-scenting?

I know that some dogs are good ground-scenters, while others of the same breed can be better at air-scenting. I also know that foxes are good at both, but I was wondering what the score is with deer - essentially whether their physiology makes them better suited to air-scenting? What I'm really trying to work out is how long after you've walked across a piece of land they can smell that you've been there (ignoring any residual airborne scent). Does anyone here know the answer?

Thats an interesting question and one I would like yo know the answer to as well,
    I would assume they could scent you on the ground for a resonable length of time
    I say this as using trail cameras they can detect your scent of the camera for at least
    24 hrs and maybe even longer also stags scent mark their territories but a definitive
    answer I dont have as to regards predators ie us lot ?
    Last edited by dlz90; 13-09-2012 at 14:36.

On several accounts I hav stalked a particular area where I hav sat for hours with the dog and shot deer from that said position
    , to go back to the same position 4 hours later to find a good herd of fallow lay up in the same place
    i hav also witnessed roe and muntjac go scent the exact place where I had been standing only moments before and then watch them lay down with in feet of the place
    sometimes I feel deer are not as fazed by scent as much as we think , but seem to realise the difference between danger or not

I think they pay little attention to ground scent and are tuned in to air scent as this where the danger is.
    Last edited by Paul 600; 13-09-2012 at 19:57.

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Likewise, I don't think they're that bothered - I set up a trail cam and the first 2 roe came to have their pictures taken (and probably watch me AND DOG leave) within 8 minutes.....

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    On my observations of sambar deer ground scent or scent deposits are eagerly sought by sambar.
    They actively sniff the preaching pads and the game trails,often head down sniffing like a dog.Presumably following the scent of a receptive female.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Springer View Post
    Likewise, I don't think they're that bothered - I set up a trail cam and the first 2 roe came to have their pictures taken (and probably watch me AND DOG leave) within 8 minutes.....
    I too use trail cameras and just recently have got a video of a young sika spiker behaving very unsettled and sniffing the surrounding area very nervously and all the while looking at the camera, its a no glo bushnell trophy cam, he just gives the impression he smells my scent from the camera or surrounding vegatation, likewise though I have many pictures/video from deer that showed no such worries and approached the camera with no inclination of anything being amiss, maybe something else was bothering him I dont know for sure but this little fellow did not like what he got the wind of, will try and up load video at some point just now having tried already it wont upload but he was aware of something maybe he could see the infa red flash even though its supposed to be invisible to the naked eye well human eye maybe but then again as mentioned I have plenty vids of sika red that for all the world never noticed anything ??

Damian
    Last edited by dlz90; 13-09-2012 at 22:26.

Thanks, Chaps - it's good to know that I'm not alone in wondering about this!

It probably depends on how many people the deer "share" the land with. I use a trail camera and the deer don't seem too worried about it, but there are a fair amount of people around there.
    I read something by Rob Bucknell saying how he watched a deer coming down a trail he had crossed two hours or so before. When the deer got to the point where he had crossed, it reacted with alarm and ran off.

Damian.. re the no glo camera, are they truly no glow?. I find that the red glow from the leds on my stealth cam spook the foxes and they may not come back that way. Bit counter productive.

fraser

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    It probably depends on how many people the deer "share" the land with. I use a trail camera and the deer don't seem too worried about it, but there are a fair amount of people around there.
    I read something by Rob Bucknell saying how he watched a deer coming down a trail he had crossed two hours or so before. When the deer got to the point where he had crossed, it reacted with alarm and ran off.

Damian.. re the no glo camera, are they truly no glow?. I find that the red glow from the leds on my stealth cam spook the foxes and they may not come back that way. Bit counter productive.

fraser
    In all honestly if you go up close to the cam when its activated it has a very faint glo of the leds though you really have to get close up to it and study the flash panel, unlike my other infared led cams where the glo is easily seen, it appears the the new bushnell no glo and similar cameras use a panel of infa red lens meterial over the led diodes, I really lkike these cameras and have some very good footage of both foxes and deer who pay no attention to the camera whilst its fliming at nite
    the cameras produce very fine night videos and stills, I will try and upload some to the site but because of a software issue with my pc I can not manage it just now but will try and get that sorted as soon as I can just keep an eye on the video/photo section.

Damian
    Last edited by dlz90; 14-09-2012 at 19:45.