Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how are cartridges named?

how are cartridges named?

Just a general query born of idle curiosity: how are the names for cartridges derived? They seldom seem to actually represent the true diametre of the bullet - or indeed much else.

.308 Winchester = Bullet dia + name of company who introduced it.

.22-250 = Bullet dia + wildcat source (necked down .25 Savage).

.22 Hornet = Bullet dia+ Catchy name.

30-30 = Bullet dia + original load (30gns) smokeless

45-70-500 = Bullet dia + Load (70gns BP) + bullet weight

30-06 = Bullet dia + year of adoption (US military)

.22 Atkins Super Pooper = Bullet die + Name of Wildcatter.

7.62x39 = Bullet dia + case length.

For Bullet dia also read nominal calibre

Hope that helps.

JD
    Last edited by JDW; 13-09-2012 at 12:51. Reason: Missed one

Rather than ask such a wide question why not just go and read a reloading manual? All the good manuals will have a section explaining how cartridges are named and also a short history of each cartridge. The history of each cartridge I find fascinating that is why I own numerous reloading manuals that span quite a long period of time. Wikipedia is also a good source of information.
    Last edited by 8x57; 13-09-2012 at 13:39.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Excellent, just what SD is for. Learned something new! Thank you JD

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Rather than ask such a wide question why not just go and read a reloading manual? All the good manuals will have a section explaining how cartridges are named and also a short history of each cartridge. The history of each cartridge I find fascinating that is why I own numerous reloading manuals that span quite a long period of time. Wikipedia is also a good source of information.
    Gosh - now there's a helpful reply. Hmm... how about because I don't have a reloading manual? And because I enjoy the more personal input and insight that you usually get with broad questions on here, and the associated anecdote. And because it makes a nice diversion from the usual 'should I get a .243 or a .270 or a .308' or 'BASC sucks' threads?

If you haven't got anything constructive to say, I'd appreciate it if you just didn't say anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Gosh - now there's a helpful reply. Hmm... how about because I don't have a reloading manual? And because I enjoy the more personal input and insight that you usually get with broad questions on here, and the associated anecdote. And because it makes a nice diversion from the usual 'should I get a .243 or a .270 or a .308' or 'BASC sucks' threads?

If you haven't got anything constructive to say, I'd appreciate it if you just didn't say anything.
    And that reply was a little harsh, the advise offered was sound.
    It will limit the personal input and insight in future.

Here is a good book which will help a genuine search for knowledge;
    Cartridges of the world

Now of course if one cannot be arsed to read a little regarding European and Amarican cartridge naming conventions....

Just a general query born of idle curiosity: how are the names for cartridges derived? They seldom seem to actually represent the true diametre of the bullet - or indeed much else.
    Chuck Hawks among others has written good articles on this topic. There are some general European and US approaches to naming, but as ever there are interesting exceptions. A month's subscription to Chuck's site is very good value. Regards JCS

Have a look at this website lots of info on there
    http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledge+Base.html

I like your retort!
    Well said.
    S

It was a constructive reply but as you can't be bothered to read books I won't bother and allow to continue in your ignorance. If you were really interested you would get a copy of cartridges of the world which has been suggested by someone else.
    Last edited by 8x57; 13-09-2012 at 18:12.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.