Combination scales/powder dispensers

timbrayford

Do combination dispensers offer any significant advantage over just using a cheap set of digital scales and a mechanical dispenser? If so do the more expensive ones work any better than the cheaper ones? Any advice will much appreciated. atb Tim

What is the main perpose of it's use. If you're making hunting rounds. Why bother? Lee dippers make excellent hunting/accurate plinking rounds.

If your useing it for bench rest shooting. Why bother?

If any of the "resters" can scientifically prove 100% that weighing every charge is needed, and that a tenth of a grain makes any difference. I will go and buy the best one out there.

Why is there so much mind games played in the reloading? For us average Joe stalkers that practise, what is the point?

I use dippers to get the bulk of the charge and then trickle to the weight I require plenty fast enough for me I always like to weigh as accurately as possible to get a consistent load..........

What is the main perpose of it's use. If you're making hunting rounds. Why bother? Lee dippers make excellent hunting/accurate plinking rounds.

If your useing it for bench rest shooting. Why bother?

If any of the "resters" can scientifically prove 100% that weighing every charge is needed, and that a tenth of a grain makes any difference. I will go and buy the best one out there.

Why is there so much mind games played in the reloading? For us average Joe stalkers that practise, what is the point?
I use my reloads both for stalking and fairly light hearted target competitions although a few other club members take the latter more seriously, but that is their problem not mine. However I do need to buy some new scales and will choose between a cheap(ish) digital set and one of the expensive combo sets. atb Tim

I use my reloads both for stalking and fairly light hearted target competitions although a few other club members take the latter more seriously, but that is their problem not mine. However I do need to buy some new scales and will choose between a cheap(ish) digital set and one of the expensive combo sets. atb Tim

Thats my point Exactly Tim!

I made some rounds using home swage bullets ,lee dippers and a factory crimp. They went exactly where my mate who was spotting, told me to put them.

It's advertising rubbish mate. Don't bother save your money.

Thanks for your thoughts, you do indeed make a good point. I use the both the Lyman 55 dispenser and Lee dippers, the scales I use just for quality control checks and calibration. atb Tim

Thats my point Exactly Tim!

I made some rounds using home swage bullets ,lee dippers and a factory crimp. They went exactly where my mate who was spotting, told me to put them.

It's advertising rubbish mate. Don't bother save your money.

I think one of the reasons I also weigh exact is you are cutting out variables when it comes to accuracy if your struggling to get a good group you no your load is going to be the same velocity so that's one variable out of the way.......

I think one of the reasons I also weigh exact is you are cutting out variables when it comes to accuracy if your struggling to get a good group you no your load is going to be the same velocity so that's one variable out of the way.......
Thanks, that is certainly something to consider. atb Tim

Save time factory crimp it. Does the same thing.

I've never tried factory crimping, apart from my rifle being a bit fussy about headspace I can consistently achieve groups of around 1/2" at 100yards (rested) with my reloads. Currently I aim for +/-.1 gn powder load variation but for practice work it doesn't bother me if the variation is a little greater, they all seem to hit where I am pointing. atb Tim

I've never tried factory crimping, apart from my rifle being a bit fussy about headspace I can consistently achieve groups of around 1/2" at 100yards (rested) with my reloads. Currently I aim for +/-.1 gn powder load variation but for practice work it doesn't bother me if the variation is a little greater, they all seem to hit where I am pointing. atb Tim

I do the same but never crimped like yourself I also group around 1/2 moa so more than happy with my reloading process......

I do the same but never crimped like yourself I also group around 1/2 moa so more than happy with my reloading process......
Good to hear it, I do sometimes wonder at some reloading techniques but it is always interesting to learn from the experiences of others, thanks for your comments. atb Tim

I am an advocate of at least trying a crimp but there area few things to mind. Cases must be the same LOT and length or you are peeing into a gale. Not just any crimp, either. "Built in" crimps will give less than quality results. Some independent taper-crimp dies are good. The Lee Factory Crimp die is the best method I've found and the only one I use for centerfire rifle. You need to play with it a bit, varying crimping pressures. I have a set of fine, wire feeler gauges that I use between the fingers of the collet when I feel the need. Mostly I just lock the die and leave it when I have found my load. Additionally, once you get a FCD, don't be afraid to revisit earlier loads that didn't quite make the muster. It often changes the characteristics of the burning rate and makes a mediocre load acceptable. Remember; it is a variable that can be adjusted. Work it.~Muir

I am an advocate of at least trying a crimp but there area few things to mind. Cases must be the same LOT and length or you are peeing into a gale. Not just any crimp, either. "Built in" crimps will give less than quality results. Some independent taper-crimp dies are good. The Lee Factory Crimp die is the best method I've found and the only one I use for centerfire rifle. You need to play with it a bit, varying crimping pressures. I have a set of fine, wire feeler gauges that I use between the fingers of the collet when I feel the need. Mostly I just lock the die and leave it when I have found my load. Additionally, once you get a FCD, don't be afraid to revisit earlier loads that didn't quite make the muster. It often changes the characteristics of the burning rate and makes a mediocre load acceptable. Remember; it is a variable that can be adjusted. Work it.~Muir

Does crimping put pressure up by quite a bit or just a little as I say I've never done it but always like to learn different techniques from the more experienced reloaders like yourself, I have lee dies also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of crimping? Thanks for you time......

Does crimping put pressure up by quite a bit or just a little as I say I've never done it but always like to learn different techniques from the more experienced reloaders like yourself, I have lee dies also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of crimping? Thanks for you time......

Basically you can 'work' the shot start pressure with the FCD. This consistent initiation pressure does actually seem to affect the round more so
than an exactly weighed charge.
Speaking of which It appears that the 'exactly weighed' charge is a mental crutch hang over from comp shooters who 'feel' it improves
precision, note the word 'feels'.

Basically you can 'work' the shot start pressure with the FCD. This consistent initiation pressure does actually seem to affect the round more so
than an exactly weighed charge.
Speaking of which It appears that the 'exactly weighed' charge is a mental crutch hang over from comp shooters who 'feel' it improves
precision, note the word 'feels'.

Thanks for your reply, I was taught to reload by an F-class shooter which is probably where I have been shown to weigh the charge exactly wether or not it makes a difference in a hunting load I don't no but that's how I had been shown and never done any different but as I say I'm always open to suggestions from others who have more experience than myself and if it makes reloading easier or I can squeeze the best out of my cartridge/calibre then I like to hear it, thanks..

PLUS 1 for Muir's comments.
I have a rig that I made to automate powder dispensing - I dump a low load into the scale pan with a powder measure then stick it on the scales & turn on my motorized trickle feeder & forget it. It stops when the scale hits zero.
It isn't more accurate than hand trickling but what it does do is speed things up considerably.
I use this system 'cos I've done so for years and it liberates time & allows me to concentrate on what I'm doing.(Like inspecting & cross checking as many of the parameters / quality as I can with the aim of avoiding cockups.)
I haven't tried scoop metering so can't comment on that. It may be accurate enough & fast too.
Whether you weigh each load isn't important - consistency and safety are! CROSSCHECK EVERYTHING.

Ian

For clarity I use the Lee FCD. On recommendation from Muir. The only thing I check is the case under a light to make sure I haven put a double charge in. There is no need to check weights when you dip and crimp. You do need to play with it to get the right amount of crimp pressure but you soon get where it needs to be.

Thanks for your reply, I was taught to reload by an F-class shooter which is probably where I have been shown to weigh the charge exactly wether or not it makes a difference in a hunting load I don't no but that's how I had been shown and never done any different but as I say I'm always open to suggestions from others who have more experience than myself and if it makes reloading easier or I can squeeze the best out of my cartridge/calibre then I like to hear it, thanks..

F class competition reloader, says it all!

All that hunting requires is that the bullet hits what you aim at, there is no gong or glory, what is desired is a quickly killed animal as the only objective.
That first shot from a cold dirty barrel is what everyone needs to get consistent with.
A charge deviation of ±0.1 grain need not be a concern, unless of course you are flirting with the edge of the envelope regarding pressure and
more often than not the groups have already begun to spread out.
Truth be told the bullet seating will have more of an effect on the precision of the cartridge.

Back