best over barrel .243 mod?

Another plus here for ATEC. Lightweight (doesnt hardly change your rifles balance) and good suppression but they do get hot very quickly! £600 for a moderator seems a bit mental really, these are a good price
Before ordering I looked hard at lightweight Aluminium mods. What put me off was what other users had to say about gas cutting, particularly if the Rifle does a lot of range work and apparently if Ballistic Tips are sometimes used. It then became a question of choosing between the Aluminium mod and accepting that it might need repairs or replacing evey few years or the Titanium and not having to do so at all. atb Tim

Now thats complicated things! I use ballistic tips nearly all the time, as not only good for foxes but awsome for head shots to.

Tim are you saying that if I use ballistic tips then Aluminium mods will deteriate quite quickly?? £600 is a lot of money for a mod but I guess so is £240 every 3-4 years! Do you use one of these Lawenence mods and what rifle is it on? Are these Atec Maxium aluminium? Tom

Now thats complicated things! I use ballistic tips nearly all the time, as not only good for foxes but awsome for head shots to.

Tim are you saying that if I use ballistic tips then Aluminium mods will deteriate quite quickly?? £600 is a lot of money for a mod but I guess so is £240 every 3-4 years! Do you use one of these Lawenence mods and what rifle is it on? Are these Atec Maxium aluminium? Tom
I use the LP Nexus Compact on a Blaser R8 .243w. I occasionally go stalking and use BT's but also reload and use the rifle for informal target shooting on the range. Overall I fire around 500 rounds a year. I have not had first hand experience of either Aluminium mods or the A-Tec myself but having read some past threads on this site it would appear that others have experienced gas cutting problems when shooting under circumstances similar to my own. atb Tim

Pes T12, it will last, they are solid, sound suppression is great, yeah they are slightly heavier than the titanium ones, but they are basically the same proportions and do a fantastic job for half the price. Muzzle flip and recoil are all but gone, you won't get the same from the really light ally mods.
Personally I wouldn't go for the scout, yes its smaller and therefore lighter, but it ain't that much lighter and the reduction in sound between them and the T12 full size is noticable.
Just my opinion, but I've tried a few. Oh, and I tried the third eye spartan, it went back a week later (they were good enough to refund fully I have to say) but they were all about snazzy looking engineering and not so much sound supression, god did that thing bark!

The maxim has steel baffles which are the parts that matter. The rest of it is aluminium.

A client of mine turned up with a Lawerence mod the other day I have to say I was not that impressed with it.

It's not over-barrel, but have you looked at the ASE Ultra SL5?
All steel construction but only weighs 400g and adds 100mm to barrel length, which is about the same as over-barrel ones.
No messing around with bushings to fit your rifle barrel. I use one on a .308 and am quite happy shooting it without ear protection - but I've not compared it against anything similar. I paid about £270 for it earlier this year.
Triffid

cheers guys,

will try PES T12 and the Atec Maxim and see which feels best.

this is a top website, far better than google! Thanks Tom

get a DM80, he makes them bespoke to your rifle, they are fully strippable and dont extend the length of the barrel by much,
Well ballanced and very well made and only £155,
pm me if you want his contact details

I have found out why......titanium becomes brittle in a carbon rich enviroement and from a rifle you have a lot of carbom being deposited in that moerator from the powder gasses! Not the best idea.
Fortunately the LP is made from aircraft grade Titanium alloy which in the absence of planes dropping from the sky in a confetti of metal fatigue I presume the brittleness issue to which you refer must have been addressed. However given that your depth of knowledge on the subject I expect that you will take the opportunity of explaining otherwise. atb Tim :cool:

aircraft grade Titanium alloy

No such thing really, unless you mean it has a verifiable audit trail to confirm its source and chemical composition. He will be using Grade 5 or maybe 6, it is most suitable for constructing moderators, machines easy(don’t believe them if they say it doesn’t,:-| just keep a good supply of coolant on it) and gives a great surface finish so all the dumb got not idea Joes think you are a great machinest. :rofl:

I wouldn’t worry about it going brittle.

ATB

Tahr

I wouldn’t worry about it going brittle.

[/QUOTE]
With a lifetime guarantee on the LP the only thing I need to worry about is shooting straight. atb Tim

Back