Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lead VS Copper

Lead VS Copper

What does the future hold for Lead bullets !

It appears that by April 2015 the FC are moving over to non lead ammo, ( across the board )

is this a step Forward or Back ! Do non lead bullets possess the same stopping power as lead ?

your views please .

Rgds, Buck.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 15-09-2012 at 10:13.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

if you look at what's happening in mainland europe, and slowly in the UK too ref. wetlands - moving over from lead to steel, within a few years I bet we'll all be forced to shoot either steel or copper. mind, barnes tripleshock are supposed to be excellent, although harsh on barrels supposedly.

no personal experience I might say.

The studies carried out in America seem to suggest that the non lead bullets are comparable if not better than their lead equivalent and obviously more environmentally friendly. The big question will be on the availablility and subsequent cost (if lead was banned) of copper bullets due to the recent shortages of copper.

Have the FC said on what grounds they are to ban the use?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    What does the future hold for Lead bullets !

It appears that by April 2015 the FC are moving over to non lead ammo, ( across the board )

is this a step Forward or Back ! Do non lead bullets poccess the same stopping power as lead ?

your views please .

Rgds, Buck.
    Yes, I was aware of the FC requirement. That'll be good bye to 243s in Scotland for red/fallow/sika then? Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Yes, I was aware of the FC requirement. That'll be good bye to 243s in Scotland for red/fallow/sika then? Regards JCS
    that'd be no bad thing

Shot a lot of deer with copper bullets and found them good with no problem this was my 270 in 130 and 110 grain but I did not think the 110 were good at putting down the red stags but some seem to find them ok.

Well I've tried various lead bullets,but I've had much better results with the Barnes ttsx in my swede its all I use,knock them down like nothing else , my friends all use them in various calibers 30.06 .308 and 6.5x55 and they perform well in those calibers so from my own perspective and my friends they are top drawer but can't comment on other brands of copper bullet......
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 14-09-2012 at 13:28.

Quote Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post

Have the FC said on what grounds they are to ban the use?
    No doubt it will be down to lead poisoning Andy, which I think is crap ! what about all who have drank water from Lead pipes

for years.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Hopefully they will have overcome this hurdle by 2014 John, or they'll be a few faces.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Is lead contamination from rifle shooting really thought to be a problem? Surely even a life time of stalking could hardly leave more than a kilo or two spread very thinly over a vast area?

having used barnes in the .308 i find they do a great job on red;sika but a liitle to much for roe and rather expensive Shotz