Thread: DOg vs Fox

DOg vs Fox

Without sounding like a jack-ass but, will I get in trouble if say for instance I let my dog catch a fox and kill it?

Totally hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Without sounding like a jack-ass but, will I get in trouble if say for instance I let my dog catch a fox and kill it?

Totally hypothetical
    Have a look here mate should answer your question http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environm...ture/DG_180360

Quote Originally Posted by MONGOOSE View Post
    Have a look here mate should answer your question http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environm...ture/DG_180360
    Thanks,

I'm still a little vague though... I'm not talking about taking her out to hunt foxes, more I'm out back and a fox appears with one of the chickens in it's mouth ~ or ~ I shoot a fox, it's not dead and she kills it while trying to retreive it from a location that does not lend itself to a shot ~ or ~ I'm feeding the duck pond and the sneaky old bugger of a fox who has evaded me for the last year tries to sneak his way out of the reeds... The first ones not happened, the second one has and the third on occasion (can't always have a gun)...

Buy a trap. Problem solved.

Thanks,

I'm still a little vague though... I'm not talking about taking her out to hunt foxes, more I'm out back and a fox appears with one of the chickens in it's mouth ~ or ~ I shoot a fox, it's not dead and she kills it while trying to retreive it from a location that does not lend itself to a shot ~ or ~ I'm feeding the duck pond and the sneaky old bugger of a fox who has evaded me for the last year tries to sneak his way out of the reeds... The first ones not happened, the second one has and the third on occasion (can't always have a gun)...
    This would come in I would assume if you legally shot the fox

Rescue of wounded animals
    Up to two dogs may be used to rescue a wild mammal if the hunter thinks that the wild mammal is, or may be, injured. For example, a deer that has been legally shot but only injured.

But if you were just out with you dog walking etc it does also say this

Someone who lets their dog(s) chase a wild mammal while out walking in the countryside could also be prosecuted under the Hunting Act.

Account Suspended

Totally hypothetical
    In Scotland you need to refer to the Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) Act 2002
    Under this act... It is now legal to use dogs to flush a fox from cover for it to then be shot so long as this is done as a form of pest control.
    The Act further states that no offence is committed if the dog kills the fox during the course of this activity but only if it was not the huntsman's intention that it does so and is regarded as an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    In Scotland you need to refer to the Protection of Wild Mammals (Scotland) Act 2002
    Under this act... It is now legal to use dogs to flush a fox from cover for it to then be shot so long as this is done as a form of pest control.
    The Act further states that no offence is committed if the dog kills the fox during the course of this activity but only if it was not the huntsman's intention that it does so and is regarded as an accident.
    Cheers, Tamus that makes sense and seems logical. So no setting her on foxes but no stress it she gives it a little shake after shooting it.

Ali

Account Suspended
    Cheers, Tamus that makes sense and seems logical. So no setting her on foxes but no stress it she gives it a little shake after shooting it.

Ali
    I accompany hounds of foot as a gun, from time to time.

There's usually between 10 and 20 guns and up to 40 hounds. We shoot some of the foxes that get killed. Frankly, the ones the dogs get die quicker.