Thread: NVQ2 in Gamekeeping & Wildlife Management vs. DSC2

NVQ2 in Gamekeeping & Wildlife Management vs. DSC2

I did an NVQ2 in Gamekeeping & Wildlife Management about three years ago - at the time, I was told that it was a higher qualification than DSC2/DMQ2 - sort of equivalent to DSC2.5. Can anyone here verify this? There's a chance that I'll need DSC2 or above for some stalking that has FC involvement, so I'd like to know in advance!

From DMQ "DSC2 is a stand alone qualification but is aligned with the National Occupational Standards and can be used as evidence towards the deer elements of the Gamekeeping NVQ/SVQ if required." I would ask DMQ or the FC if your NVQ 2 deer elements would give you DSC2 equivalency

It says in the FC tender documents that you need dsc2 or some units that are contained in the nvq. I can't remember which units, but as long as you have them, then you'll be fine I would expect.

They'll be looking for DSC2, HNC or BSc wildlife management won't cut it??

C49 and C50

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Agreement.pdf/$FILE/Agreement.pdf

Bottom of page 6

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I did an NVQ2 in Gamekeeping & Wildlife Management about three years ago - at the time, I was told that it was a higher qualification than DSC2/DMQ2 - sort of equivalent to DSC2.5. Can anyone here verify this? There's a chance that I'll need DSC2 or above for some stalking that has FC involvement, so I'd like to know in advance!
    Paddy you've missed the bus here the NVQ 2 in Game Keeping is just that in Game Keeping .

The level two is the practical element of the level one, a follow on from the level one theory, which is "you" showing your proficiency and skills "you" have brought together ,taking a Aw with you and allowing him to watch and sign of the various elements he See's and questions you on .

The NVQ 2 does not demonstrate any of that, so how you were told it was a higher Qualification, I don't know one is Game keeping ,the other is Deer Stalking .

Stand by your qualification. It is an industry recognised one that you have worked full time for covering a wider range of topics than the DSC and preparing you for full time employment. As long as you studied deer management, law and had practical element covering the deer theory you should have a better qualification than DSC. DSC was and is still aimed at amateur stalkers not professionals. Unfortunately it has been adopted as something more than it is but saying all of the above it is very worthwhile for novice or people new to stalking specifically as there is little other form of training for part time none professionals.
    Forgot to say you must have taken the Game Meat Hygiene course to.

The NVQ level two in game keeping, Cull Deer/Stalk & Dispatch NVQ level two unit B2302 is what DMQ is based on.

NVQ are externally verified, DMQ are internally verified.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    C49 and C50

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/pdf/Agreement.pdf/$FILE/Agreement.pdf

Bottom of page 6
    Many thanks - that is exactly what I wanted and needed to know, as I did both C49 and C50, (Stalk and Cull Deer, and Prepare Deer For Human Consumption)!

Thanks also to the others who were kind enough to comment!