Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bipod ???

Bipod ???

Hallo Folks ,

Having no experience at all in using a bipod , I would like to know wich models are the most intresting for Hill stalking .
    - Height ?
    - with or without notches ?
    - wich make ?
    - silent to operate ?

Hello, I've used a Harris bipod for the past 18 months or so. The height adjusts from 13 1/2 inches to 23 inches, but I've never had cause to use anything other than the lowest setting when stalking. It's quick and easy to attach, and a lot easier to shoot off than a rolled up slip or coat. It's also pretty virtuallysilent to use if you keep a firm grip of the legs when opening. My 6.5x55 shoots to the same point of aim whether or not I'm using a bipod, but I've been told that some of the larger calibres need to be re-zeroed. Regards, Moonraker

Hello, I've used a Harris bipod for the past 18 months or so. The height adjusts from 13 1/2 inches to 23 inches, but I've never had cause to use anything other than the lowest setting when stalking. It's quick and easy to attach, and a lot easier to shoot off than a rolled up slip or coat. It's also pretty virtuallysilent to use if you keep a firm grip of the legs when opening. My 6.5x55 shoots to the same point of aim whether or not I'm using a bipod, but I've been told that some of the larger calibres need to be re-zeroed. Regards, Moonraker

Try and go for the 13" to 23" , swivel type, I found the Harris bipods the best.

http://www.bushwear.co.uk/search.php?search=bipod

i use a harris as well the larger size (unsure of the actuall inchs) and its never let me down after over 5 years of use a friend of mine has just got a copy of the harris from the deben cataloge and its no where near as good build quality but that said i think the harris is far to exspensive. as for which size to get i would buy the smallest set only if you are shooting foxes at night off the top of the truck and buy a set of stalking sticks as i have never shot a deer off of my bipod

For shooting hinds on the hill you will find that you will most likely shoot all your deer from the bipod, I've not shot a beast on the hill without a bipod for 16years !
    The "short " versions are too small for hill stalking and the 3 piece "long" type are a bit too big for the hill although great for woodlands.

Can you try a few out. the Harris one's are the best also try to look at the harris swival pod gives you a bit more movement just incase you need to move your rifle slightly on the hill.

Also need to consider that on the hill there's a lot of heather and the stalker will try to get you a mound if possible so you don't always need a massive bipod but if you by one which is to small then sometimes the heather can get in the way. As babislayer says in his post the three section one's are to long so if you can try to look for a bipod that is arond 6-10 inches in heigh I guess.

Hi I have a harris on my 270 and a deben on my 22 and with out a doubt the harris is the best and easiest to use, the difference in price is about 20 I think, which in my opinion is 20 well spent they look nearly identical but extending the legs on the harris is a lot easier and quieter than on the deben.
    Karl

As Harris are the best knowm bipods , I thought buying the Harris . I have never seen one here in a gun shop , so I think I'll have to post order in the UK . I watched a few web sites and my biggest question is the hight . There seem to be 4 basic heights :
    - BR 6 - 9 inches
    - L 9 - 13 inches
    - H 13 - 23 inches
    - 25 the 3 piece leg version.

Most web sites say that the H model is fine for prone and seated shooting .
    Will the 13 inch not be to high for prone shooting ? Or would the L model be more suited ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut
    As Harris are the best knowm bipods , I thought buying the Harris . I have never seen one here in a gun shop , so I think I'll have to post order in the UK . I watched a few web sites and my biggest question is the hight . There seem to be 4 basic heights :
    - BR 6 - 9 inches
    - L 9 - 13 inches
    - H 13 - 23 inches
    - 25 the 3 piece leg version.

Most web sites say that the H model is fine for prone and seated shooting .
    Will the 13 inch not be to high for prone shooting ? Or would the L model be more suited ?
    I find the H model too high for me in the prone position so went for the L model. Make sure you get the swivel model not the fixed.

Jonathon