Thread: Lymes disease - are you immune once you have had it

Lymes disease - are you immune once you have had it

An important question - once you have had and been cured lymes disease does your body build up an immunity. Thus if you are bitten again by infected ticks are you likely to get ill again. Some diseases you have an immunity to, others such as malaria you do not.

Having had it I really don't want to get it again. To be honest I feel uncomfortable about going into tick infested areas.

Short answer - No.
    Long answer - the immunity is complex and poorly understood as yet. It may even be that treating the infection early (vital) prevents natural immunity occurring. So keep covered up.

I'm just recovering from Lyme's, having been bitten by a red deer tick. Hard to diagnose, I know, but I was "lucky" enough to develop the marked bullseye rash on the bite site. Was treated with heavy duty antibiotics and am still feeling the effects of both those and the Lymes with lethargy, achy limbs, etc, so sympathies to the original poster. I was told by the doctor that you don't develop immunity with this.
    But there are kits you can buy cheaply online that let you test a tick you've been bitten with for Lyme's so that you can seek treatment soonest.
    *goes off to find link*

Sorry, I don't have enough posts yet to post links, but if you type in Care Plus Lyme Test Kit you'll easily find it. Hope this helps.

No you can catch it again.

Having had it myself its not a pleasant experience. However I find that if you are in a bad area its best to wear gaters and not Woolen trousers/tweed and spray your gaters and trousers with deet.

This will hopefully keep them off whilst stalking through long heather, grass etc. What you need to be careful of is when you are back in the larder with a beast hanging up. I think thats when most stalkers are at their most vulnerable from getting bitten.
    Last edited by sikamalc; 17-09-2012 at 07:31.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    No you can catch it again.

Having had it myself its not a pleasant experience. However I find that if you are in a bad area its best to wear gaters and not Woolen trousers/tweed and spray your gaters and trousers with deet.

This will hopefully keep them off whilst stalking through long heather, grass etc. What you need to be careful of is when you are back in the larder with a beast hanging up. I think thats when most stalkers are at their most vulnerable from getting bitten.
    Or you can get yourself some Rovince kit.

Honestly I used to be a tick magnet I had 5 this year before I got myself some of the above back in May, since then I have not had a tick.

Quite simply it works.