Long range deer rifle

ejg

I was low on a deer rifle in the last two weeks and I put together an old 270 remmy ADL with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold just to have something.
On Wednesday eve I was out on an open bog trying to get closer to a forest but the sika hinds were out already and would have
given my game away if I would have gotten any closer. Two stags came out as the light was fading, distance was not easy to judge
and I had no rangefinder along. I left them off saying to myself I need to get my other rifle together.
On thursday I finished the project where I needed measurements from my old sako, cleaned the barrel, put her back in her stock and
scope on. Friday, zero and I was ready for Saturday outing on Sika with much more faith in my long range deer rifle. 20 mag scope,
Lothar Walther match barrel, carbon stock, AICS mag system and drop chart to 500m...
This morning out at first light, rangefinder along, took a while to find a stag but then finally my first for the season. Precise neck shot.
Range.....5yds
edi
DSCN7111.jpg

Piered, it is actually my old standard deer rifle that I have used for target competitions and stalking. Have great faith in it. Also took me
many months to put together. She was just out of action for the start of the season because I needed the old 1960's sako action
as a template for a project. She is a 308.
edi

Piered, it is actually my old standard deer rifle that I have used for target competitions and stalking. Have great faith in it. Also took me
many months to put together. She was just out of action for the start of the season because I needed the old 1960's sako action
as a template for a project. She is a 308.
edi
Nice action I think you need to go a long way to beat a sako action, only mistake you made was not building it in 7mm08 :eek:.
Did you put it in one of your own stocks ?

Pierred, I fitted it into one our howa stocks, but it was a lot of work. Also fitting the aics howa mag system was awkward as the action needed to be milled too.
Always wanted a 7-08 but we have very bad ammo supplies in Ireland especially in the very south. Have a 30-30 sitting in the safe...no ammo.
So I'm putting myself another two 308's together. One short range one long range.
edi

No Steyr, walked head on into the whistling stag, heavy cover and a misty drizzly morning.
Just typical when one is set up for longer shots no deer were out possibly because of the weather. So I went into
the cover with the 6.5mag min setting on the scope. Shot quite a few before at 20-50 yds with this scope
but never that close. Not much time to find the right spot on the unfocussed grey blob visible in the scope.
Bullet went down the spine and stopped before the shoulder area. Lost the neck.
edi

Back