Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Hornet ( more load data)

.22 Hornet ( more load data)

Hi guys,

Crap day weather wise so loaded up more rounds for the Hornet to try. This time some heavy weights to try. Ok so the 40 grain v-max load I developed is awesome but wanted to try some heavier higher BC 50 grainers as well in search of better 150-250+ yards ballistics.

I think though that the 40's with their higher MV's and slightly lower BC's will be a touch better then the 50's with their slightly high BC's and slower MV's, but it's worth a try an experiment and well worth a test I think.

So from 12.2 grains of lil-gun upto 13.4 grains loaded in batches of 5.... Stay tuned to see what happens.

Cheers guys.

p.s I have some 35 grain v-max for sale if anyone is interested ?

Steve.

The high BC for the 50 grain V-Max comes at the cost of length, which is the evil nemesis of the 1-16" twist most Hornets are shipped with. I suspect your long range stability will be sacrificed. This is my favorite Hornet load.

It does this to small rodents

From way back there.

Thirty four grain bullet.~Muir

In all my 3 K Hornets, 2205 is the powder for all bullet weights for accurate groups. It didnt quite give the speeds of Win 296, but what goos speed without accuracy?
    My Last K Hornet loved 11.5gns (Dont Quote me, It was a coupla years ago) of 2205 with a 50 gn PPU projectile. It worked well on whatever I shot with it also. Shot a heap of hares and a few foxes. The 40 gn Vmax was also a great pill, but the length was a PITA.
    Another pill I got to shoot well was the Win 46 gn HP. I never had much luck with the 40 WMR Pills. I used them mainly for case forming. What they did hit they destroyed though.

I am going to guess that as long as your hornet stabilises the 50 gners, they are going to work well. Some Hornets have a 1:16 twist which is maginal at 50gn Plus loads

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    The high BC for the 50 grain V-Max comes at the cost of length, which is the evil nemesis of the 1-16" twist most Hornets are shipped with. I suspect your long range stability will be sacrificed. This is my favorite Hornet load.

It does this to small rodents

From way back there.

Thirty four grain bullet.~Muir

Hi mate,

I have used the 35 grain v-max for years, they have a very low BC and are crap in the wind. I have recently developed a 40 grain v-max (boat tail) and that bad boy is awesome, far flatter, far far less wind drift and maintains energy and velocity much much better.

The 50 grain SPSX bullet I have just loaded to test is quite a bit shorter then the 40 grain v-max in length that I am currently using with great concistentcy and accuracy out to 250 yards and upto 300 yards.

From what I have researched it seem to be bullet length that's important and not the weight, I'll stand corrected if I am wrong ;o)

The 40 grain v-max is 0.689" in length where is the 50 grain SPSX (not 50 grain V-max) is only 0.595 in length,

From what I have read, heared and believe these 50's should shoot fine.

As soon as I have chance when the weather breaks il test and be sure to give a full report including chrono reading,

Many thanks for your input and please follow this trend to find out how it goes,

Atb

Steve

I will be interested to see if the cz will stabilise the 50 grainers? Might try some in mine if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    I will be interested to see if the cz will stabilise the 50 grainers? Might try some in mine if they do.
    I will for sure add and share my findings with you fellas.

Steve.

I load 35 and 40 gn max and 40 gn sierra sp varminter . I have modded a mag to take the longer 40gn vmax

I knew my memory was foggy, it was RE7 I was using.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0204 (Small).JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	19244

Quote Originally Posted by nicholiath View Post
    I load 35 and 40 gn max and 40 gn sierra sp varminter . I have modded a mag to take the longer 40gn vmax

How did you go about modifying the mag mate, was it successful ?

How did you do it ?