Thread: Keeper for a day

Keeper for a day

Am just recovering from my day looking after the birds on a shoot i pick up on.
    The keeper needed the afternoon/eve off and asked if i would do his rounds for him .........now i have an idea of how hard his/your job is.

The physical side is quite tough but just getting round and getting it all done was a challenge and then to top it off i then carried on through the night shooting foxes with the aid of NV, 1st time i've been out all night ( think the wife liked the fact i stayed out all night and did'nt wake her at some crazy hour of the morning.

I retire in a couple of years time and am thinking it would be nice to help a keeper out part-time, does this go on alot? would i need qualifications?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman sam View Post
    would i need qualifications?
    Yes - willingness and a lot of energy. Good luck if you go for it!

Paddy, cheers for info on fox pro will send them an email soon
    I am willing and the energy levels are not too bad so will see if my services are needed when i retire until then i'm just keen to learn the ropes so to speak

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman sam View Post
    Paddy, cheers for info on fox pro will send them an email soon
    I am willing and the energy levels are not too bad so will see if my services are needed when i retire until then i'm just keen to learn the ropes so to speak
    'Tis a pleasure to help - I hope Foxpro sort you out!

As for the keepering - in these days of financial constraints and kids that don't know the meaning of work, I suspect that you'd have little trouble in finding someone to take you on p/t.

Glad you enjoyed the experience there is part time and part time if you get my drift or you could say no such thing as a part time keeper just an unpaid one !!! I am sure you will agree how much hard work a p/t keeper puts in full time job ,p/t job and a family to keep happy . I am lucky I live on the shoot and work next door travelling is almost nil before I lived here I travelled 12 miles to the shoot each way which now I would not even consider with the amount of time I need to put in especially when poults arrive and the costs involved .
    regards Norma

Cheers Norma, The shoot is about 30 mins from me so not too far to travel, the keeper has work parties throughout the year which most people are involved in which as much as they can be hard work are fun as well ( it does seem that some people do turn up just to chat and drink tea tho )
    The keeper breeds and hatches his own birds so there is alot to do all year round i've been picking up for him for 4 seasons now and help out with vermin control for him and to be honest i can't get enough of it, as a child i loved it when we went to see my grandparents in Andover,Hampshire all i would do is go out fishing in the local chalk stream catching trout for my nan so now i have the oppotunity to be involved in this sort of thing i am there helping out as much as possible

Andy

helping out seems to consist of moving heavy stuff and/or getting covered in ****.

As someone who does no hard work for a living after a few days catching up the request to come lamping that night or go early next moring for a fox (or buck) suddenly seems like a chore when all I can think about is sleeping.