Stalking Jackets!!

charlieg43

Hi all, I know this has been done before but I really want to bring up the subject again.

Im after a winter stalking jacket which is fairly lightwieght, good quality and not camo (I have an issue with the stuff). Im looknig to spend around £150 to £180, but still want the jacket to last. Im really not sure where to look so if anyone has any helpful advise on where to look and what to look at, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

Hi all, I know this has been done before but I really want to bring up the subject again.

Im after a winter stalking jacket which is fairly lightwieght, good quality and not camo (I have an issue with the stuff). Im looknig to spend around £150 to £180, but still want the jacket to last. Im really not sure where to look so if anyone has any helpful advise on where to look and what to look at, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!!

ive just bought a stoney creek long bushcoat from bushwear. I like this jacket alot however I had to order the biggest size as Im a wee short far dude but it didnt take long at all. It is a light weight storm proof smock which will require a decent mid layer to be worn in a cold day or for up a high seat. To compliment it I got the long bush shirt which is basicly a fleece smock, this keeps the wind out itself kept me dry walking through 6' high xmas trees on a horrible damp day. Only thing I may do next time whenever that is. Is to buy the Tarn jacket as it has more pockets.

Nutty

Hi i have just bought a Deerhunter Montana jacket, the fleece and deertex lining are removable so can be used summer and winter it is dark green and silent, Cheers Geoff

I'm quite keen on the Deerhunter Ram Jacket although I've not actually tried one. I think they look good/functional and won't scare the DPM fearing public... They won't break the bank either...

Wow Ben P, only £260 including imports?? Thats pretty mental, I have a stalking mate who raves about them too, might ask for it as a Chrimbo present! I looked at the price online and sorta forgot NZ dollars are not the same as US.... so makes a bit more sense now!! Stig and Geoffrey, Deerhunters do look good too, I dont want to spend too much on a jacket so they do look good also. Where would the best place be to get them from?

Have you considered Loden clothing as it is super quiet and plain geen coloured check out germany fleabay for the styles on offer.
I paid 140 euros = ca.125 pounds and it will last me out.
Martin

I have a loden stalking jacket bought about 20the years ago now. Still very warm wind and waterproof. It is getting a bit tatty now and am also looking for a replacement. What about Ridgeline stuff, anygood?

Try Loden Frey in Munich they are a large department store and do make their own garments with a website, then also try Frankonia jagd website for any offers on end of line.
Or come on over for the Oktoberfest this month via easyjet gatwick to Munich and I will show you around the stores myself but only on friday afternoons as I must pass through Munich railway station each Friday afternoon and it is is located only 500metres from the Oktoberfest ground.
Who needs a better excuse for a pi**up
Martin

I have a loden stalking jacket bought about 20the years ago now. Still very warm wind and waterproof. It is getting a bit tatty now and am also looking for a replacement. What about Ridgeline stuff, anygood?

Both my brother and I have Ridgline jackets . . . . . In the whole very good and the first jacket I have ever had that actually is completely waterproof . . .the down side is they are a touch sweaty so you need to dress with care, not too many layers. I'm also not a great lover of camo, however Bobjs very kindly gave me a camo style ex army jacket {he may be able to elaborate on the pattern} and I swear when I wear it i'm as good as invisible to the deer. I had a doe and kids stand looking direstly at me at around 20 yards the other night and they looked right through me before continuing to browse.

Have a look at JahtJakt, you can get a complete stalking outfit (Pro Hunter?) with all the extras you need.TJ

I just got a Swazi Tahr smock, took a couple of weeks to arrive from NZ. Including import duty and delivery approx £260.

They are built to last and are very durable.

Highly recommended.

http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Wet-Weather-Gear/Tahr-Anorak/

Regards

BP

These are 243 quid on website in new Zealand excl shipping and duty. How did you get it over here for 17 quid ??
When I bought stuff from new Zealand , it seemed cheap until I got stung with 120 quid import duty !
whats the secret??

Got a ridgeline roar which is very good but very hot.

Just bought a Thistle Lowlander and it seems excellent so far. Not been in torrential rain but the rain i have seen in it has just run off and kept me dry.

Wouldnt reccomend it strongly yet as i havent had it long but first impressions are excellent

Got a ridgeline roar which is very good but very hot.

Just bought a Thistle Lowlander and it seems excellent so far. Not been in torrential rain but the rain i have seen in it has just run off and kept me dry.

Wouldnt reccomend it strongly yet as i havent had it long but first impressions are excellent

I have a lowlander which I purchased as a summer stalking jacket but I find it too noisy so I always end up putting the pro hunter back on and sweating. It may just be me but all I can hear is the rustling when stalking :confused:

Apart from that it is a great jacket but I may see about selling mine on as I never use it.

Last edited:
Back