Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .425 Westley Richards

.425 Westley Richards

Has anybody had much experience with this round? How did it perform, what was the recoil like?

No I haven't, but according to "safari rifles" its shooting a 410 gn bullet at 2,350 for an energy of 5,010 ft lbs. About the same as the 416 Rigby which shoots a 410 gn bullet at 2,370 fps for 5,115 ft lbs of energy. I have shot a 416 Rigby by Rigby and it gave a healthy shove but not painful. To be honest probably no worse than a reasonably light shotgun with a magnum cartridge. A lot will depend on a) weight of the rifle and b) stock fit, but imagine given identical rifles you would struggle to tell the difference. Also shot the the 375 H&H, both Sako and BRNO and from memory, yes its a step up in terms of recoil, but not that much of a step up.

The .425 WR is an on odd looking cartridge. When it was introduced 100 odd years ago, Rigby had an exclusive right to the Magnum mauser. WR wanted a cartridge of the same sort of volume as the 416 Rigby and other big bores that would fit into a standard length Mauser action and that would fit the standard .467 bolt face as per 30-06, 7mm Mauser and more modern 243, 270 etc. The result was a fat case of the same sort of size as the 416 Rigby but with a rebated face to fit the standard bolt.

Kynoch Ammunition still make this round - Kynoch .425 Westley Richards - so getting ammo should n't be to much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    Has anybody had much experience with this round? How did it perform, what was the recoil like?
    I worked for WR ( 12 years ), the .425 is a good round. I only built two rifles in this calibre. For the cartridge to feed effectively in the mauser 98 action, two spring loaded side clips are used to stop the cartridges being pushed out of the mag box by the follower etc. When the bolt is pushed forwards, the clips are pushed outwards allowing the bolt face to feed the round off the follower and into the chamber. It took a lot of time to alter the receiver walls and do the feedwork for this calibre than any other I have ever built. That aside, recoil was moderate. Modern rifle stocks are designed with higher cheek pieces and combs. The old rifles that came into the factory that I fired always kicked like mules because of their old stock measurements. Many of the old rifles had very long barrels - 24/26'', and the muzzle flash was always impressive in low light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJim View Post
    I worked for WR ( 12 years ),
    Oooooo
    I bet you have seen some quality wood and metalwork!

Thanks Gunny Jim, I am aware of the side clips, but I can't decide whether to purchase a new Westley Richards, a second hand Westley Richards and have it restocked/restored or most likely to purchase a CZ and have it restocked to fit. My only concern about the CZ is the feeding of the round as I can not find enough infromation on whether they have installed the side clips or have resolved any potential feeding issues via another method.

My concern with purchasing a new WR is it will cost about 20K with the optional extras and it will get damaged or potentially lost in transit, also if I can get a CZ stocked to my own requirement, and the whole project costs me 5K then that saves me a lot of money that can otherwise be spent on hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian 1 View Post
    Thanks Gunny Jim, I am aware of the side clips, but I can't decide whether to purchase a new Westley Richards, a second hand Westley Richards and have it restocked/restored or most likely to purchase a CZ and have it restocked to fit. My only concern about the CZ is the feeding of the round as I can not find enough infromation on whether they have installed the side clips or have resolved any potential feeding issues via another method.

My concern with purchasing a new WR is it will cost about 20K with the optional extras and it will get damaged or potentially lost in transit, also if I can get a CZ stocked to my own requirement, and the whole project costs me 5K then that saves me a lot of money that can otherwise be spent on hunting.
    Yes, a ''new'' WR rifle is quite an expensive choice indeed. I am not aware of anyone ( CZ or others ) offering this chambering, and realistically another more ''popular'' calibre would perhaps be a better choice ie one that you can be certain of sourcing ammunition for both at home and abroad, and also the obvious resale value of the rifle in the future. There is realistically not much between the .425 and the .416 Rigby and you would have a much wider choice of manufacturers and ammunition suppliers to choose from with this calibre. That said, a heck of a lot of .425's ended up in Africa equipping game wardens etc and secondhand rifles do pop up. As I said in my previous post, I was there ( WR ) for 12 years ( 10 of which I was the actioner responsible for building the magazine rifles, and I aso fitted leverwork and lockwork in the double guns aswell, during my last 7 years there) and I only ever built TWO rifles in this calibre out of the 120 bolt rifles or so I reckon I must have made. If you are plumbing for a big calibre, I would personally go .416 or .500 Jeffery.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Oooooo
    I bet you have seen some quality wood and metalwork!
    Yes, a lot of fantastic wood !!! Being privileged enough to have worked there though kind of makes you a bit of a snob when it comes to exhibition grade walnut and superlative engraving too!!! Lots of beautiful guns, and a lot of fond memories.

+1 with Gunny Jim on the 416, or possibly the 450 Rigby.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari View Post
    +1 with Gunny Jim on the 416, or possibly the 450 Rigby.

David.
    505 Gibbs and be done with it.

I would be very surprised if the CZ rifle had the feeding sorted in this calibre. They dont have the WR style of clips. I have a CZ in 500Jeff and the feeding was not sorted on this rifle when delivered. Also the weakness with the CZ and other similar production rifles is the magazine box. Because of the movement of the rounds under recoil in the mag they a, dent the front of the mag box which makes the sides bow in blocking the follower and b, pushing the bullet heads back into the cartridges. If you want to get a cheaper rifle get a calibre that is simpler to get to feed. What about the .404 Jeffrey? Or as said above the 416.Rigby. If you are set on a .425 WR then I would try to find a second hand one and get it reconditioned by Westley Richards.