Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the perfect hind rifle?

What is the perfect hind rifle?

Iíve seen a few posts, stating that a specific rifle is the perfect hind rifle?
    What makes this so and why is it different from any other type of sporting rifle?

Just wondered, iím sure iíve got one in the cabinet but i cant work out which one it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post

I’ve seen a few posts, stating that a specific rifle is the perfect hind rifle?
    What makes this so and why is it different from any other type of sporting rifle?

Just wondered, i’m sure i’ve got one in the cabinet but i cant work out which one it is?

22-250 but not leagal any more (probably killed more hinds than any other rifle). So I would say 243.

Nutty

easy, stag rifles are works of art you take up during the rut to shoot a trophy. you then clean and oil it nicely after, etc. I see the stag rifle as one that gets out on special occassions, and usually a pretty large calibre to ensure you put that big guy down with authority. - whereas the hind rifle is the medium/large calibre that's a work horse, could be synthetic, probably with a custom barrel, may be moderated if you're a girl, a calibre that's suitable for taking longer shots and picking out cull beasts from a large group. may also be used as a stag cull-rifle, but NEVER does it deserve to take a royal!.

LOL!

its the same as the perfect "stag rifle".....the 270win.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    22-250 but not leagal any more (probably killed more hinds than any other rifle). So I would say 243.

Nutty
    Well I think 303, 270, 243, 30-06 would historically be the biggest culprits and for the fact FE use 270, it will have had the biggest toll, in Scotland anyway. 22-250 weren't that plentifull before the law changed although along with the hornet and 222, they'll have made an impact.

I think at a practical level, one rifle would do the lot but seens as we aren't a practical lot here. I'd say a stainless synthetic in anything between 243 & 270

+1 for PKL's observations.

My view for a hind rifle - reasonably light as you will have to carry it when dragging two or three hinds off the hill. Calibre - 243, 6.5x55 270 308 or whatever you have and can shoot accurately - shot placement is key. Scope - you need good light gathering ability - picking out a dark coloured hind - and they are are all dark coloured when they are in winter coats and wet, against dark heather and peat hag, even at midday in a scottish overcast winter day is difficult. No reason why cannot be blued and wood, but if I was a professional using it every day on the west coast it would be stainless synthetic. My 243 Heym SR20 has shot quite a few hinds over the years.

1000th post - congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    +1 for PKL's observations.

My view for a hind rifle - reasonably light as you will have to carry it when dragging two or three hinds off the hill. Calibre - 243, 6.5x55 270 308 or whatever you have and can shoot accurately - shot placement is key. Scope - you need good light gathering ability - picking out a dark coloured hind - and they are are all dark coloured when they are in winter coats and wet, against dark heather and peat hag, even at midday in a scottish overcast winter day is difficult. No reason why cannot be blued and wood, but if I was a professional using it every day on the west coast it would be stainless synthetic. My 243 Heym SR20 has shot quite a few hinds over the years.

6.5x55 I reckon

I asked rifle, not calibre! Feel free to add calibre but its the style of rifle that i'm interested in hearing peoples views on.

7x57 just because it hardly gets mentioned theses days!
    Last edited by ELRIG; 17-09-2012 at 19:48.