Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lab hurt her foot

lab hurt her foot

hi guys,just got back in with the dogs to find my lab has hurt her foot,her claw seems to be bent side ways,ant ideas wat to do?
    http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01018.jpg
    http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01017.jpg

Hi Javy,

Is it just the claw ( nail ) , or has the toe (bone ) dislocated/fractured??

Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Hi Javy,

Is it just the claw ( nail ) , or has the toe (bone ) dislocated/fractured??
    no m8 its just the claw nail but is very sore to touch,her foot is fine tho

Ouch!

If it looks and feels like it is hanging by a thread, take a firm grip of foot in one hand and broken claw in the fingers of the other, then take a deep breath and snap it off. By the look of it, it's nearly off anyway so it shouldn't hurt too much. You may get some bleeding. Keep an eye on it as they can easily get infected and a nail-bed infection is difficult to clear.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Buchan View Post
    Ouch!

If it looks and feels like it is hanging by a thread, take a firm grip of foot in one hand and broken claw in the fingers of the other, then take a deep breath and snap it off. By the look of it, it's nearly off anyway so it shouldn't hurt too much. You may get some bleeding. Keep an eye on it as they can easily get infected and a nail-bed infection is difficult to clear.

Good Luck
    it looks in the pics that its hanging off but if you try to move it it is preety firm and well attatch to the pad,just very bent,has stopped bleeding now,

Mine had the same couple months ago, he got it playing run around with my terrier who can turn a lot faster than him! I just let them play on and he yelped again and the nail had come off leaving the quick. All I did was bathe his paw in hot sea salt water ato harden it off an he was fine in a few days.

Bod

happened to my lab twice now took him to the vets and as the vet was talking to me he took a hold of it and gave a sharp tug to rip it off!!! he said it was the only thing to do. looks brutal and mine was sore for a few days but it never stopped him going out after a couple of weeks.

cheers
    David

thanks for the replys,ill see how it goes and hopefully it will fall off.if not a trip to the vets............

You may find the dog will chew/pull it off itself. My GSP snapped a claw when about 9 months old, she chewed it off in the night right down to the quick. She was a bit sore, but fine. A quick trip to the vets for some antibiotics, and she was sorted.

This is dirtdiggers girlfriend, I'm a vet nurse.......these are very painful!! I agree with the previous comments, if its loose try and just rip it off with one sharp tug, if not we usually cut it right back with nail clippers. They do bleed so a light dressing for a few days to guard against dirt and poss infection is a good idea and I always give anti-inflammatory pain relief too and a long acting antibiotic. Keep an eye on this nail though when it grows back because if the nail bed has been damaged the nail may grow back at a funny angle and require trimming if not getting naturally worn down. Deb
    when you stop learning you stop being challenged