Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Blaser R8 6.5 owners willing to share their experience?

Any Blaser R8 6.5 owners willing to share their experience?

Good evening all.

With FAC in hand now, I am decided on buying a Blaser R8 in 6.5X55, but as a new owner I need some extra help please. I have a few ideas on what I need, but would value any specific help and guidance from existing owners.

One shop is selling the R8 at a keen price, bundled with a blaser saddle mount. I have an S&B 3-12X50 Zenith already. Is this a good mount choice for the S&B? Do I need to specify a particluar variant?

I am considering an A-Tec Maxim moderator.

I have gleaned that I should buy a Niggeloh sling. Is this a universal item or am I looking for a specific one?

Now the big one; which factory ammo? I will be shooting muntjac and fallow and will meet either on any given stalk. Reading posts on here, 120gn seems to have a lot of supporters. I will admit to finding the subject of ammunition choice pretty bewildering. So many strong opinions . Norma BTs?

I would be grateful for any constructive advice. Cheers.

Hi Pob
    I have an R8 pro in 308.
    The only thing I would say about the scope is try and see if you can get the eye relief with the Schmidt.
    Not so much of an issue for me as mine is on a rail mount and therefore has more adjustment.
    May be take your scope into the shop and try it in the mount.
    As far as slings go , Blaser do a nice neoprene one to go with the R8 I believe it is also available in leather.
    Don't be afraid to haggle as I got my sling for 50 and I think the rrp is 70.
    As far as ammo goes for the 6.5 I can't help.
    All the best and enjoy your new Blaser.

Quote Originally Posted by pob View Post
    Good evening all.

With FAC in hand now, I am decided on buying a Blaser R8 in 6.5X55, but as a new owner I need some extra help please. I have a few ideas on what I need, but would value any specific help and guidance from existing owners.

One shop is selling the R8 at a keen price, bundled with a blaser saddle mount. I have an S&B 3-12X50 Zenith already. Is this a good mount choice for the S&B? Do I need to specify a particluar variant?

I am considering an A-Tec Maxim moderator.

I have gleaned that I should buy a Niggeloh sling. Is this a universal item or am I looking for a specific one?

Now the big one; which factory ammo? I will be shooting muntjac and fallow and will meet either on any given stalk. Reading posts on here, 120gn seems to have a lot of supporters. I will admit to finding the subject of ammunition choice pretty bewildering. So many strong opinions . Norma BTs?

I would be grateful for any constructive advice. Cheers.
    Hi mate I can't comment on the rifle, but I have two 6.5x55 rifles and love the calibre but I do reload my rounds as the performance of a lot of factory ammo is loaded quite slow so has a limited range and efficiency but have a read of this thread for some opinions on factory ammo http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...mo-performance , I started reloading because of the price of factory loads for the price of two or three packs of ammo you can get set up with a basic reloading kit and make your own effecent rounds......

with regard to the niggeloh sling there is only one so you can't go wrong it's an awesome sling love mine, a good scope choice is the s&b, also I would avoid ballistic tip type bullets for normal stalking stick with soft points and the like a much better choice IMO,

Pob

I have that rifle in that calibre, third eye mounts, with that mod, want to buy it?

in regards factory loads, Norma 120 grain go well but very expensive. Federal fusion werent bad but 140 grain

Pob
    I have an Atec maxim on my R8
    Rifle balances nicely.

Gents

Thanks for the responses. Some really valuable advice there.

It is honestly appreciated.

I have an R8 in 6.5x55, love it.... As for mount.. Stick with Blaser for me. As has been mentioned, checck that you can get the eye relief with the Zenith, the scope may very be forward due to design...

I went for a rail mounted Z6i and couldn't envisage going back to rings now!

Trident mod.. (yes, open season fanboy!!!) and it is great and incredibly light, doesn't affect the balance at all.. Expensive yes but then you have hardly chosen a cheap rifle... Why scrimp on the components... Get thebest you can!

As for ammo.. Can't help you as I reload... But other wise, enjoy... It's the first rifle I've had that is more than just a rifle, it is an enjoyable thing to have and use init's own right!

Get a leather niggeloh sling if you can find one, got mine from jagersport, better than the neoprene version

hi pob
    excellent advice allready given
    I have an R8 with 243 and 30 06 barrels the 30 06 shoots superb with the federal fusions I would try them to start
    I bought the leather sling for mine swivels sewn in that fit straight on studs on rifle and well happy
    also shoot with an A tec mod well pleased as doesnt un balance the rifle but you could go with a lawrence precision if money
    isnt an issue .
    as mentioned allready I would take your scope with you to shop and check alls well with fit etc .

hope this helps and enjoy your new rifle I know you will regards pete .

Yes my r8 in .243 shoots very well with the Federal ammo which I have now based my reloads on. After an earlier attempt to fit a sling with American type fittings onto a R93 by drilling the stud holes to a larger diameter I decided it would be much neater to use a Blaser sling on the rifle and as I was buying the rifle new I was able to get the sling at an acceptable price. I use the Lawrence Precision Nexus Compact mod which suits the rifle very well, the Aluminium mods are a similar weight . atb Tim