Thread: Poly Tunnel Deer?!!

Poly Tunnel Deer?!!

Just got a new shoot and there seems to be a Roe Buck living in one of the poly tunnels on the shoot...

I think he's sick but haven't had a good look at him - has anyone ever heard of deer living in weird places? He seems to be in there only on the day!

Will try and get some pics, as think this is interesting behaviour!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Seen Muntjac sheltering in water trough turned on its side and another that scared the s--t out of me when it came tearing out of a derelict shed that it too had been using as a shelter in bad weather.

Roe buck living amongst the shipping containers in a port...

Roe doe and fawn living in a poly tunnel on a farm that I shoot on, though it's one that's not been used this year, so I don't think they get disturbed much.

It always amazes me where wildlife can show up - and appear to thrive.

I regularly see several roe inside the perimiter of a sewage treatment works. I even saw a nice 6 point roe buck in there, tottering around the car park.

I suppose there is plenty of vegetation in there, and grass but its completely surrounded by a 6 foot chain link fence apart from the entrance which is manned 247.

Guess they pass their security checks, show their ID and enter at will.

all the best, Jim

There's an *extremely* nice buck on a golf course where I lamp rabbits. I got to within 30m of him the other night, cross hairs centered just behind the ear. The urge to squeeze was almost irresistible. He only has one eye, and the little voice at the back of my head was saying 'go on - it's really humane despatch'!

Thanks guys, next question is could he be malting? - Trying to work out if his manky look and odd habits are just a quirk, or if there might actually be something wrong with him?

Situation is there's a Pricket and a the Buck I'm referring to who are both showing up... I'd sooner take the pricket first, but obviously if the Buck isn't well then he'll be my first target - it's a new permission so I'm under pressure to get some results soon!

We had a fallow buck who would eat the cider apples in the night and then spend the next day sleeping it off down behind my bee hives. Didn't know what was wrong with him at first because he would wobble to his feet or knees and just stare at you with wide open eyes.
    He was spared when the farmer said he had seen him in the orchard on several occasions eating the apples and so was probably feeling a bit worse for wear.

This went on for two years but unfortunately we don't see him any more so I suppose someone has had him when he has been away from his sanctuary.

Talking of sanctuary's, in my photo's there are pictures of many fallow in the field. This field was the only field which I chose to leave undisturbed and leave the deer a bit of protection and the wood next to it was part of my shoot so this was also left alone. I think the deer must have passed the word around because it wasn't long before we were seeing 50 + deer on that one field. Alas, too many for the farmer to tolerate for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Thanks guys, next question is could he be malting?
    I thought you said he was in a poly tunnel - not a brewery?

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom
    I think he's sick but haven't had a good look at him
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom
    next question is could he be malting?
    I thought you said he was in a poly tunnel - not a brewery?
    ...but that would explain why you think he's looking sick