Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clueless about binoculars - seeking advice for xmas gift!

Clueless about binoculars - seeking advice for xmas gift!

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on getting some fair quality binoculars for my partner. He is currently undergoing a countryside management course, with a particular interest in deer management, stalking, and he does also have an interest in bird watching etc.

I'm looking to get him some binoculars for christmas, so I can't ask his advice, and I have no clue at all.

My budget realistically is between 50-100.

If any of you have an advice on specific models, or just the sorts of attributes I should be looking for, it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Sorry to upset you but useful binos for stalking in the low light conditions early morning or at dusk come with a 500 pounds minimum cost, as an example mine cost me 1145 euros.
    Perhaps a set of roe deer calls would fit that budget better and will be useful.
    Martin

go for a set of minox 8x42 bl's if you can stretch to around 130. They get really good reviews and a lot of stalkers have them as a budget back up set
    Last edited by Bigboab29; 18-09-2012 at 10:03.

Go on abay and buy a set of bushnell h2o 10x42. Ive a set s
    and they work. I paid 90 for mine. Yes there will be lads here thatll tell you to morgage your house to buy a set with good glass. But in reality mate buy what you like and can afford. Me even if I could afford a more expensive set I wont. This is my second set of bushnells and Ive been more than happy with both and Ive compared both to higher priced binoculars.

Hope this helps

nutty

Nuttyspan,
    As you become older your eyesight will get worse thats life and you will need better performance so please try not to be so cocksure about rubbish Chinese binos that work for you at the moment. things will change.
    martin

At the lower end of the market, try Konus, Viking or Hawke.
    I have a pair of Konus, and they are pretty good for the cash

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Nuttyspan,
    As you become older your eyesight will get worse thats life and you will need better performance so please try not to be so cocksure about rubbish Chinese binos that work for you at the moment. things will change.
    martin
    Oh dear me!! cocksure Mmmmmm, rubbish chinese lol. Im sorry but you need to get a life. Not all gave money to buy expensive equipment. And to be honest if buying expensive equipment gives me the right to try and put down someone else then no thanks it can stay on the shelf.

Skint and proud

nutty

OOps, pulled your string have I?. You have read the wrong meaning into my post.
    Crap equipment will sure as can be, get left on the shelf after some unhappy experiences = been there done that and have the collection of not good enough stuff in the cupboard and they just dont cut the mustard. Don"t say get a life I say get a better job that will support you.
    But the UK always keeps you down by underpaying you for your work, I left the place 35 years ago because of that.
    Is nutty hiding behind a penname?
    I am not.
    Martin

Get him a pair of Minox seems to be the best budjet glass and highly thought of.
    D

I was out with a client recently him with his bushnell binos, we had watched a buck for a while and then lost it. My client then said "there it is out in a field". I couldn't see it so as he directed me in all I could see was a tuft of long grass - and that's exactly what he thought was a buck before he looked through my Zeiss, point made I think.