Rebarrel options (caliber) for .270

Tackleberry270

Although I love .270 I am toying with the idea of rebarrelling in a different caliber. I love the rifle itself (heym sr20 with some nice wood + sentimental value) I want the next barrel to outlast me and hand it on to my son.

Apart from 30-06 is there any other chamberings keeping the action as it is?

280 or 280AI, but the same difference you could go for 7X64.

It is a long action so I would want to make the most of it, you can down load one of the above to 7-08 but the short action cartridges can not push them big piggy/plains game 175gn bullets as well as the 62/64mm cases.

ATB

Tahr

Thanks. I have the Ammo and Ballistics book so I will have a look at some of these. I will definitely stick with long action.

Don't forget the short action cartridges with the same bolt face are also an option. I had a Sako Finnbear re-barreled from .270 win to .243 win years ago and it worked fine. Easy enough to check if the cartridges will feed properly out of the magazine, just try it with some .243 rounds (safely of course - obviously I'm only suggesting that you check to see if they feed - don't fire them!) Glyn.

Don't forget the short action cartridges with the same bolt face are also an option. I had a Sako Finnbear re-barreled from .270 win to .243 win years ago and it worked fine. Easy enough to check if the cartridges will feed properly out of the magazine, just try it with some .243 rounds (safely of course - obviously I'm only suggesting that you check to see if they feed - don't fire them!) Glyn.

Dissregard this, I didn't see your comment about sticking with the long action cartridges. Glyn

7mm rem mag if your shooting elk will kill all plains game simples

If it is a proper long action rifle it will be too short to fit a magnum size cartridge in (unless it is a short mag’ WSM ect) also the bolt face will be too small. You can get almost 7mmRM performance with lighter and mid weight bullets from a 280AI any way.

ATB

Tahr

Yep sure is but if it's Better (IMO) on a long action as you can load the heavier 6.5 bullet further into lands!
defeats the original idea of the 260 surely then as the benefits of being a s/a are lost. don't have that problem with the creedmoor and when all is considered I only give up 0.7 grains of capacity over the 260 and have no loading issues.

Back