Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: The quickening

  1. #1

    The quickening

    That time of year is upon us again, there is an autumnal feel in the air,if you are at a loose end and are in need of some distraction come walk with me in the glen if you will.

    Its early morning and the mist is thick in the glen bottom,but you just know the sun will break through and it will be a fine day.

    Along the glen bottom the bracken is starting to change colour, here and there Goldfinches are feeding on the seeds of the thistles that grow along the burn edge.

    We decide to get a bit higher and maybe climb above the mist thats clinging to the glen bottom
    we start up the side of a feeder burn, here there are some trees growing on the steep edges of the burn, where they have escaped the mouths of deer and sheep, mostly Alder Birch and Rowan and a small Scotch pine protruding from a crack in the rock, a natural bonsai.

    The tops of the Alders and Birches glowing golden as the sun starts to break through, the Rowan's
    are covered in orange and red berries, these will soon be stripped by the arrival of the Fieldfares
    and their chack- chack will be heard throughout the glen.

    Darting away up the burnside a Ring Ousel,and sitting on a rock at the waters edge his tail bobbing up and down a Grey Wagtail
    not nearly as common as his cousin the Pied Wagtail.

    We have now left the mist behind and are bathed in sunshine the sky is a cloudless blue and away below us the mist in the glen bottom looks like a huge Loch or even a sea,with the hill tops sticking out like Islands.

    Suddenly we hear a musical wink wink as a skien of Pink feet pass high overhead, and in the distance an Eagle soars , we are now high on the hill but even this late in the year there are still
    patches of heather in bloom the purple Ling

    and here and there the more vivid coloured Bell heather.

    Small birds dart about pipits or buntings, pipits I think , but I should know I have spent the best part of a lifetime seeing them and not giving them a thought, why don't I know? should have made more effort to find out.

    Then I hear it a droning sound and my heart beats faster this is what has drawn me here, its the approaching Red deer rut, all summer long the stags have lived quite contented in bachelor groups up on the high tops, now they are starting to find there voices and a bit of aggression to wards each other is creeping in.

    Any day now they could break and roaring will be heard the length of the glen this happens each year brought on by the shortening days, temperature also plays a part a couple of nights sharp frost can set it off.


    Can't predict the exact date, but the Stags feel the stirring as it approaches as do those of us who stalk them.

    Unfortunately no stag stalking for me anymore, I wonder how long I will continue to feel the quickening as this time of year approaches

  2. #2
    A nice piece of writing,
    Got a lump in my throat and a moist eye.
    Thanks,
    JD

  3. #3
    Braw boggy enjoyed that, it got the blood coursing.

    Nutty

  4. #4
    Never been stalking but my god has that made me want to get up to Scotland and see these beasts in there prime land. Thanks for that

  5. #5
    Your right it's that time of year, the temperature has dropped and the stags have started to roar on my ground and the Sika are whistling, it's magic. ANother week of this weather and it should be perfect, the midges will be gone!

    John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

  6. #6
    Thanks for that bogtrotter, a most enjoyable read.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by filzee View Post
    Never been stalking but my god has that made me want to get up to Scotland and see these beasts in there prime land. Thanks for that
    Bogtrotter is spot on. A friend was out stalking today and I was kicking myself that I couldn't be out there too giving him a hand. There was something in the late September air this morning, that you could sense, even in the heart of Edinburgh. Regards JCS

  8. #8
    Well Jim, For those that know you and moreso for me. (How long is it now??? ) Not many would say it was you on the keyboard writting that! But there again , after our meeting the other night , its amazing how things change as we get older. You with your problems and me struggling with my back. And unfortunately both of us sitting with SOFT drinks!!!!!!!! The look on life and what we have been through starts to come back to us. We also find it easier to describe a "passion" for the Hill and the stags. Loved the article . John
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017




  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Bogtrotter is spot on. A friend was out stalking today and I was kicking myself that I couldn't be out there too giving him a hand. There was something in the late September air this morning, that you could sense, even in the heart of Edinburgh. Regards JCS
    Couldnt agree more. I got up 6.30 let the dog out, and for 15mins I stood and breathed the cold air in lit a fag turned snd stared at the hills for another 15mins.


    Nutty

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Well Jim, For those that know you and moreso for me. (How long is it now??? ) Not many would say it was you on the keyboard writting that! But there again , after our meeting the other night , its amazing how things change as we get older. You with your problems and me struggling with my back. And unfortunately both of us sitting with SOFT drinks!!!!!!!! The look on life and what we have been through starts to come back to us. We also find it easier to describe a "passion" for the Hill and the stags. Loved the article . John
    Moray I was the same Ive known the old so and so for 28 years, and I honestly thought somone hacked his account, but I knew it was from his heart. Now soft drinks!!!!! That I dont believe.... lol. Boggy and mysekf have nursed some belter od sore heads....


    Nutty

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •