Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: howa 1500 stainless

howa 1500 stainless

hi can anyone help my mate has a howa 243 in stainless and we tried to zero it today using several different bullets weights couldnt get it to shoot any thing like what id call a good group so cumon all you howa shooters in 243 whats the best for an ameteur stalker thanks

Quote Originally Posted by devonfoxer View Post
    hi can anyone help my mate has a howa 243 in stainless and we tried to zero it today using several different bullets weights couldnt get it to shoot any thing like what id call a good group so cumon all you howa shooters in 243 whats the best for an ameteur stalker thanks
    Is it brand new? Are you reloading? Also my first point of call would be the scope and mounts I would say its highly unlikely it's the rifle that's the problem I've had many howa's and got one at the moment also no of about 20 rifles I see on a regular basis down the club and all easily shoot sub moa from new or second hand.....

yes its brand new no factory rounds we used 85 gr reminton 90 grain ppu and 100 grain ppu shot 3 then cleaned then 3 again then cleaned etc put 20 through it then tried to get it to group and it would shoot 3/4 inch then 3 round 2 inches the other way
    all help greatly recieved oh nikkon scope i know he did all this without asking first

yes its brand new no factory rounds we used 85 gr reminton 90 grain ppu and 100 grain ppu shot 3 then cleaned then 3 again then cleaned etc put 20 through it then tried to get it to group and it would shoot 3/4 inch then 3 round 2 inches the other way
    all help greatly recieved oh nikkon scope i know he did all this without asking first
    I see when I've done mine I done one shot one clean for 20 rounds then 1 every 5 but some say it does not matter but who no's, but I would still say it needs breaking in did you allow the barrel to cool after your shots as that can most certainly cause problems with accuracy and also maybe the scope it's really a bit trial and error unfortunately don't no what else to say really mate sorry, but some of the other more experienced members could help more good luck......

If it has a moderator, try it with it removed.

will try without moderator first then see what happens surely theres someone on here with a howa 1500 that will shoot sub 1 inch out of the box ??????

will try without moderator first then see what happens surely theres someone on here with a howa 1500 that will shoot sub 1 inch out of the box ??????
    Mine shot nearly 1/2 moa out of the box after about 50 rounds, and no many that do as I say but that was with a s&b scope and some decent homeloads stick with it mate I'm sure it will be ok after a few more shots buddy.....

I had one in 25.06 which shot a 1/2 inch group with Remington Corelokt but wouldn't group better than 3" with federals! Try some other brands!
    MS

Had exactlt the same problem with mine when bought brand new!!! Take an allen key unbolt scope take scope throw in bin buy a decent 2nd hand scope hey prest job done!!!!

DF

Our 243 Hogue stock version shot sub 1/2" with Federal 100 grain Power Shok.

Can't honestly say it was 'out of the box' as, unless a customer specifies otherwise, every rifle gets a minimum of strip down, lube and other basics. For anything in set-up form, collection is made at the range where they test it and I tweak it to their satisfaction before they take full delivery. The Howa got this as standard practise and was broken in to my satisfaction within 5-7 rounds.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017