Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to look for when a cartridge is overloaded....possible sticky?

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

What to look for when a cartridge is overloaded....possible sticky?

I often read messages from new re-loaders. Occasionally if I feel I have something to add then I contribute and have always felt the need to give words of warning to newcomers to watch for signs of pressure.
    What I don't have are any photo's.
    I am sure that given the amount of re-loaders we have here that we should be able to build a photo gallery or possibly sticky that everybody could refer to.
    Maybe????

Agree - great idea
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Blog Entries
    Here's the first one nicked from google.Attachment 19325
    The right hand one is a loaded bullet, the middle over pressure showing primer firing pin indentation and the right one a factory load

Would love to have heard the bang the centre .338 ultra mag made with that load.
    Last edited by teyhan1; 18-09-2012 at 20:21.

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    The right hand one is a loaded bullet, the middle over pressure showing primer firing pin indentation and the right one a factory load

Would love to have heard the bang the centre .338 ultra mag made with that load.
    Neither of the fired ones show an overload as such, you need to measure Case Head Expansion to really begin to see the effects of pressure.
    ETA-(Cratered primer is likely excessive firing pin clearance)
    Primer condition on its own is a poor indicator of pressure.
    Truth is your best friend out in the field is a heavy bolt lift (assuming that cases have been re-sized correctly).
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 19-09-2012 at 13:14. Reason: ETA

Well that is helpfull, all my .223 primers look like that 26gn Varget and 60grn V max, however no issues at all with sticking cases and alike. I assume it is a soft primer issue (CCI) can't load heavier bullets with CCI as they almost always crater, so have to use either Remmington 7.5's or bench rest primers. LH raised the point in his excellent series on relaoding heavier bullets for .223 in Target Sports. 26gn of varget is within the acceptable load range, however depends on which manual you use.

However if I saw above in using lighter bullets I might be concerned.

D

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post

The middle case is not as you described,cratering can be down to excess play where firing passes through the bolt and vibrates on firing and causes cratering,I had my remy custom checked out because this was happening,all was ok,I tried several factory loads and had same result

Sorry joe I didn't read you post,commented as I read it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    The middle case is not as you described,cratering can be down to excess play where firing passes through the bolt and vibrates on firing and causes cratering,I had my remy custom checked out because this was happening,all was ok,I tried several factory loads and had same result
    This is exactly what I mean. Photo's and good examples showing users own experience can only go to help everyone. I would've said no3 good but no2 well on the road to being iffy. Now I know a little more and I've only been at it 14 years.
    As for your pics bewsher500 I have never nor hope to ever see cases like that,
    It would also help if you add a picture to comment on what's wrong with the case and why you think it happened