Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting knobbers/yearlings

Shooting knobbers/yearlings

Having just looked through Stalking oppertunities, I was very surprised to see that some "stalkers" offer knobbers/yearlings free of charge. This leads me to ask why any potential clients would be remotly interested in shooting yearlings or why any stalker would even offer a yearling to a client?

From a deer forest perspective surely this is bad managment, or are these offers being made by contract killers in forestry blocks who have no interest in managment but only to kill deer.

please enlighten me with your views on how this works in managing a sustainable herd.

well i,m no expert on deer managment but as a game keeper/stalker surely you must know why??? even i understand the culling reasons and thats as a dumb scaffolder. stav
    p.s. someone will come along and explan soon.lol
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough

you are correct in saying i should know and i do. In to many years to remember whether it be reds on the hill or woodland roe and fallow, clients were never offered the chance to shoot yearlings. why shoot a little staggie, who in a few years will be a bigger staggie.

In any correctly managed herd youngsters are the larger part of a cull plan.

If you can find it look up `the Hoffman Pyramid` management plan.

HWH.

My question would be to ask why you think its bad management, you can't tell me you think its good management to leave all the young and just shoot the 'bigger staggie'??
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

JEEEZ, someone please intervene!! LOL.

nah, approx. 60% of culls should be yearlings. that's why...

Here is what I work on and I hope it explains it for you.

Lets assume a population of 100 Roe Deer on a 1 to 1 ratio

I aim to cull 30% of my population each year. That is 30 Roe.

Assuming a healthy birth rate of twins 1:1 ratio, you would cull 50% bucks 50% does. So that is 15 bucks and 15 does.

Of those 15% you want to cull 40% mature animals and 60% young.

Therefore you would be looking to cull 6 Mature Buck 9 Young buck, 6 mature does 9 young does.

I personally only offer Fallow and Muntjac as cull animals because I want them off the ground and I want the clients to take the shots when the opportunity arises.

I don't know so much about managing the herd species. I don't shoot button bucks but If you have a healthy population of Roe with most fertile does producing twins then your cull will arguably work out with taking 60% young(including yearlings) out of your total cull figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    I don't know so much about managing the herd species. I don't shoot button bucks but If you have a healthy population of Roe with most fertile does producing twins then your cull will arguably work out with taking 60% young(including yearlings) out of your total cull figure.
    Sorry Tackleberry, Long day
    Last edited by eggy s; 18-09-2012 at 22:04.

eggy s, Tackleberry did say taking 60% young out of the total cull figure which is what you said your plan was......
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie