Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howa 1500 your thoughts?

Howa 1500 your thoughts?

Hi been looking at a howa 1500 in .308 comes with a thumbhole laminated stock do you guys recon they are a good model as i dont know much about Howa

Chhers Al

Quote Originally Posted by multiman View Post
    Hi been looking at a howa 1500 in .308 comes with a thumbhole laminated stock do you guys recon they are a good model as i dont know much about Howa

Chhers Al
    Well I've had a few got one at present and no about 20 others who have them and we all rate them highly especially for the money, but if you can stretch to a tikka t3 that's the best value rifle in that price range IMO have a read of this thread

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...3-How-are-Howa
    Last edited by MONGOOSE; 18-09-2012 at 21:24.

Action design is similar to an old Sako, better design than newer Sako's as they have a proper recoil lug.
    The only thing I did't like on a stainless howa is that the stainless lug galls against the stainless receiver.
    We have one rifle that has done that since new. Not nice. It put me off Howa.
    I just bought a new howa action in stainless and we'll give it another go with a rifle that my son is
    making for himself. I that one galls....i't'll be back to remmy.
    edi

I have a 1500 with laminate thumbhole in .243 and i like it so much that when i put in for my .308 (license up for renewal in feb) i'm going to get exactly the same rifle.

Clearly shouted my love of Sako 75 before. The affection's still there, but seriously tempted to make Howa a 'close personal aquaintance'.

Everyone I've worked with so far has impressed. Some elements are not quite so average user friendly - like trigger adjustment - as the T3, but in honesty I prefer the Howa design over current T3. Will hold hands up that T3 is ok and likely I'm still harbouring a grudge over the change from the 595/695.

Only personal issue is the Hogue stock. Its absolutely fine, but the rubber finish just doesnt appeal. I can live with it. If looking at T3 budget, I'd likely choose the Howa with Bell & Carlson stock option.

Only limited experience with laminate & TH version - but if that floats your boat, suspect you will not be disappointed.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Clearly shouted my love of Sako 75 before. The affection's still there, but seriously tempted to make Howa a 'close personal aquaintance'.

Everyone I've worked with so far has impressed. Some elements are not quite so average user friendly - like trigger adjustment - as the T3, but in honesty I prefer the Howa design over current T3. Will hold hands up that T3 is ok and likely I'm still harbouring a grudge over the change from the 595/695.

Only personal issue is the Hogue stock. Its absolutely fine, but the rubber finish just doesnt appeal. I can live with it. If looking at T3 budget, I'd likely choose the Howa with Bell & Carlson stock option.

Only limited experience with laminate & TH version - but if that floats your boat, suspect you will not be disappointed.

How would think the laminate would hold up to our unique weather??

Nutty

I have a HOWA 1500 in .204, with pepper coloured laminated thumbhole. I love mine and no issues with UK weather. Iev had a couple of laminated stocks and never had an issue.

Know a stalker over on Skye - estate rifle is a 243 Howa Hogue and I know he's recently personally bought a 270 Howa Laminate. Now not the ideal year to discuss rain with the West Coast mob, but likely we'll be saying hello on way past in October - so will have a shufty. He's a canny guy though, so I'd trust his decision.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

thanks for the feed back. I quite like the look of the laminated t/h stock. judging by the feedback I recon it must be worth a serious look. I will let you know if I do buy it