Thread: Good Interview With New FEO

Good Interview With New FEO

My new FEO came round yesterday and dispite me being rather nervous I didnt get too much of a grilling!! She had done her research on the land I had permission on and said that after the interview she could see no reason why I shouldnt get it through such a relief!! Just out of interest how much of what happens in the interview affects the FEO's decision?

I just have a few questions about the process for getting land "cleared" for different calibres. How do the police decide how larger rifle can be used over an of land? Of the few bits I have two are back to back, and I believe from having a quick look at the sheets she brought with them they are cleared to different calibres?! Seems a bit strange as there so close.

Really happy it all went well and cant wait to get my firearms ticket through!!
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    How do the police decide how larger rifle can be used over an of land?
    This is an enormously controversial and subjective area that noone knows the answer to!

Gloucestershire now clear land, not only for the calibre, but also for the quarry. E.g, on my home permission, I can use 22CF max when after fox. If there were deer on there, I could use .308 for deer and fox. I was gobsmacked.

This business of Police territorial conditions, land checks and calibre authorisations appears to completely arbitrary in nature, but would I be right in thinking that despite HO guidance when it comes to what is actually stated in the Firearms Act is a clause on public safety and keeping the peace? If this is the case perhaps the context back in the 1920's when the original Act was passed was to determine whether a potential gun owner would terrorise his neighbours or attempt to overthrow the monarch and nothing to do with the current police and HO interpretation? atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    My new FEO came round yesterday and dispite me being rather nervous I didnt get too much of a grilling!! She had done her research on the land I had permission on and said that after the interview she could see no reason why I shouldnt get it through such a relief!! Just out of interest how much of what happens in the interview affects the FEO's decision?

I just have a few questions about the process for getting land "cleared" for different calibres. How do the police decide how larger rifle can be used over an of land? Of the few bits I have two are back to back, and I believe from having a quick look at the sheets she brought with them they are cleared to different calibres?! Seems a bit strange as there so close.

Really happy it all went well and cant wait to get my firearms ticket through!!
    I'll be honest with you
    it means nothing what your FEO says to you in an interview
    the final decision is made by your FLM
    hopefully they are both singing of the same hymn sheet and you get what you discussed for the reasons you discussed , but only time will tell on that one
    as for ground clearance
    It is not a job that they should undertake unless they actually know what they are talking about
    each FEO has a different view on what a calibre is capable of and quite often it is the muzzle energy that sways the decision if the ground is suitable or not from my experiences of land checks
    as for adjoining land with differencing calibre rating
    can often be down to when the pieces of ground in question were first "cleared" it may be down to what the applicate May of applied for at the time of enquiry
    ie landowner may hav given permission for say vermin and the other land owner may of given it for fox or deer
    so the person doing the checks will only determine if each ground was suitable for a calibre for the quarry authorised to be taken

IMO people overlook their own impact on the FLO's decision.

YOU make the decisions.
    HE (or she) administers them.

if you provide the FLO and FLM with the necessary details to qualify your request then they tend to have no issue putting their name to it.

If the FLO has to take you request for a .416Rigby to shoot deer on your 16 acre paddock the he is not going to enjoy that conversation with his FLM
    neither is the FLM going to enjoy his conversation with the Chief Constable when he comes to sign it.

have all info in order, know your law, cover all points of possible contention and explain clearly.
    You should know before the result whether what you are asking for is unlikely to be signed off

My understanding is that the quarry conditions on your FAC relate to the firearm and not to the land.

If you called the Firearms dept and asked them to check the land status they would not say that only rabbits can be shot but rather the calibre the land is suited for. The quarry conditions will be applied to an individuals FAC depending on what you say you need the rifle for.

With deer calibres most people get "Fox in the persuit of deer." In that case it is not legal to take the deer rifle out for the specific purpose of shooting foxes. However, if you are stalking for deer and a fox comes along your conditions give you the all clear to take it with a deer calibre.

The above would mean that it would not be legal to take the deer calibre out for a nights lamping of foxes. As deer cannot be shot under lamp then you would not be autherised to be using it to lamp foxes.

That is my understanding of it anyway. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Gloucestershire now clear land, not only for the calibre, but also for the quarry. E.g, on my home permission, I can use 22CF max when after fox. If there were deer on there, I could use .308 for deer and fox. I was gobsmacked.
    Last edited by HuN73R666; 20-09-2012 at 13:27.