Scope for 6.5x55 Rifle.

Could I have some advice please.
I am thinking of purchasing a Sako Finnlight 6.5x55 for deer stalking.
I am toying with the idea of a Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24X56 T IR or 6-24x72 T IR. to go with the rife.
Please could I have your thoughts and ideas on these scopes or any scope that would suit the rife and my stalking.

Regards
Brighteyes.

I have a s/b klassic 8x56 Hungarian on my 6.5 no nonsense no twiddle just point and shoot .
norma

I use a Zeiss 3-12x56 lightpoint and if you need more magnification there is a problem.
I would hazard a guess that these 2 behemoths would outweigh the Finnlights reason for existence.
Martin

I have a s/b klassic 8x56 Hungarian on my 6.5 no nonsense no twiddle just point and shoot .
norma
Same as me - good scope, can't be faulted.

Bear in mind the weight of a scope (never handled a 72mm, but might be noticeably heavier than 56mm?) particularly if you are going to be stalking on foot rather than shooting from a high seat.

I am toying with the idea of a Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24X56 T IR or 6-24x72 T IR. to go with the rife.
Please could I have your thoughts and ideas on these scopes or any scope that would suit the rife and my stalking.

Regards
Brighteyes.

Tooooooo much scope! Anything 3-12x50 would suit a Finnlight. That should cover tight woodland and open hill. If your going to use it for target work it will get hot quick, I have one in 25-06 and only zero and stalk with it for that reason.

Regards
Brighteyes.

Brighteyes

The 6-24's are fantastic scopes but as has been said in the previous answers you may find them a bit much weight wise for a stalking scope. Within our range of scopes you will find that the 3-12x56 Victory HT would be the best bet. I'm about to put one on top of my own 6.5x55 sako 75.

If you want to know any details for this or any of the Zeiss scopes drop me a message.

Cheers Jon

Just purchased sako 85 6.5x55 and have a zeiss 8x56 on top, great combination, granted for close woodland stalking lower magnification might be useful, but great light gathering and so simple and effective

SP

Mine ---------- hunter 85 in 6.5 x 55. topped off with a Schmidt & Bender zenith 2.5 - 10 x 56 Ill. Short rifle , short scope, brilliant glass and weight ratio.

Perfect for short or longer range, outstanding low mag light gathering.

Good all rounder

Atb

Phil

Last edited:
They are huge scopes probably to big for stalking go for something like 8x56 6x42 or even just a 3-9x50 but I would say anything bigger is not needed plus there is a lot more weight with the bigger scopes.....

Brighteyes - I have a .308 Hunter 85 with a 3-12x42 S&B Classic, it makes a great stalking rifle - light, compact and accurate. As one of the posts above mentions, a light weight barrel gets too hot for anything more than zeroing, checking reloads and stalking. I have a varmint stainless heavy barrel in .243 with a Z6i 56mm objective lens and ballistic turret which I use for deer and targets - the heavier barrel and fine reticle on the scope + ballistic turret are a great target rifle whilst also OK for stalking even though it is heavier than my .308.
For target work your finnlight barrel will get hot very quickly (even after 4 or 5 shots) which may affect accuracy and you will get very frustrated waiting for the barrel to cool. Go for a good quality scope but max 50 objective lens. Even my S&B with 42mm objective lens has incredible low light capability particularly with it's thicker reticle.
For the money that you would save on not getting the Zeiss scopes you mention, you could get another rifle with a good scope just for targets!
V

Brighteyes, I've a finlight in .243 that gets used mostly for foxing and then stalking, I looked at the zeiss and they are cracking scopes the nice thing is I have a mate with the 6-24x56 so got a decent look and it is frankly excellent the IR works very well. However when I was looking I couldn't get the zeiss except on back order so in the end went with a swaro z6i 5-30 x 50 this is slightly smaller and lighter and now I can compare side by side there is nothing between them.
I did have a z6 non illuminated 2-12 and I really didn't get on with it for foxing and missing a few at decent range I swapped and haven't looked back. Target wise I find my finlight doesn't heat up that fast and being fluted seems to cool as fast as any its not the tool for doing lots of it but occasional use it seems fine.

Brighteyes

The 6-24's are fantastic scopes but as has been said in the previous answers you may find them a bit much weight wise for a stalking scope.

Agreed, but also depends on the lay of the land where you intend to stalk. The reason I opted for the 6-24x56 zeiss was that the land which we shoot over is (or was) in the majority very open, clear fell. I can spot deer in places long before they've spotted me, but sometimes not possible to get in as close as you would like to make an easy identification. The higher mag gave me a better chance of clear identification of the target before moving closer or choosing to take the shot, also gave me a chance to spot any obstructions which might not otherwise be spotted through the lower power scopes, ie brash, redshank, foxgloves etc. I could argue that at the moment it is excessive as things are growing up around the shoot and distance spotting is not as easy, but it still has its uses to me, especially for target zeroing. I also have a 3-12x52 Pro Luger scope which has been excellent, also made in Germany. I used the Luger to good effect on my .308 mostly in a mature woodland patch that we had, however it did have it's limitations when in the open. They all have their uses depending on what you are looking for IMO - think about the type of shooting you will mostly be doing, and on what terrain, then all should fall into place.

If you are going to be in the woods to stalk and you are going to get a variable it should start at 2.5 or 3x power and never needs to be more than 12 power.
just my opinion but I have never felt the need ever for more mag than that and usually it will stay at about 7 or 8

Back